I started minoxidil 5% a year before and my hairfall stopped then I am facing periodic sheds every 4 months is this normal?

Hair loss other causes

You might want to see your family physician first and get some basic blood work.You did not mention if you are on any medication (other than Minoxidil) as this may affect hair loss.If no cause is found, see a hair restoration specialist for consultation and have blood work drawn specifically for hair loss.
1. Total and Free Testosterone
2. DEHA-Sulfate
3. Prolactin
4. T3, T4 and TSH
5. CBC
6. Iron, Ferritin, TIBC
7. ANA
8. Scalp bx as indicated

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to determine if the minoxidil is, in fact, having no effect. You should consider NeoGraft to prevent any further hair loss as the transplant will be able to provide you with natural-looking hair.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

In my opinion this is not normal. You need a physical exam as well as laboratory testing to delineate your problem. Ask your family doctor to recommend to someone who specializes in hair loss treatments.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon