I am having melasma on my cheeks and nose. Please tell how to get rid of this? It has been three years now. (Photo)

I have used mometasone,but of no use,please guide

Melarase creams for melasma

I have found the Melarase creams, when combined with Melapads, light chemical peels, and Clear and Brilliant laser, to be beneficial for melasma. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Melasma- Combination of Treatments Needed

Melasma or facial hyperpigmentation is a very difficult condition to treat. In our office, we use a variety of treatments including skin care products (containing retinoic acid, hydroquinone, glycolic acids), sunscreens, chemical peels (light, medium, deep including the blue peel), and lasers (IPL/BBL, Q-switch, PICO, Fraxel).

Over the last few years, we have had great success with the ZO® Blue Peel in treating hyperpigmentation. This is a robust in-office procedure that provides dermal and epidermal stimulation allowing for maximal tightening, restoration and rejuvenation of the skin. It also minimizes or eliminates the appearance of melasma [both epidermal and dermal melasma] and facial pigmentation. All patients require 6 weeks of skin conditioning prior to the procedure with the ZO Hydroquinone or Non-Hydroquinone kit. 

These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options. 

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Melasma Treatment

Melasma can be a devastatingly disfiguring disease process and can be difficult to treat.  I endeavor to give you multiple treatment options that will hopefully be successful for you.  

At all times proper sun care is necessary and this includes vigilant sunscreen use (Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB SPF > 30), avoidance of sunlight, wide brim hats, sun protective clothing, etc.  If you do not follow proper sun protection guidelines it will be very difficult to both clear and maintain clear your melasma.

Mometasone alone is not a therapy for melasma, where it may be useful is in combination with other medications.  The gold standard triple topical therapy is Tri-Luma, a brightening agent, which contains a melanin blocker (Hydroquinone 4%), a retinoid to clear and protect (Tretinoin 0.05%) and a topical anti-inflammatory to help heal the skin (Fluocinolone Acetonide 0.01%).  If your Dermatologist has a compounding phsyician make this drug for you they may substitute the fluocinolone for mometasone as that would be the only place for mometasone in a Melasma protocol.

Other therapies that may be successful for melasma include the Clear + Brilliant with Permea, Cosmelean Peel, and the Fraxel Dual.

Keep in mind with any of these therapies as we discussed above you will need to practice good sun protection otherwise the melasma may return.

Good luck with your treatment and hopefully this was informative.

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Melasma and Treatment

Melasma is difficult to treat but I have had great sucess with Cosmelan treatment.  Strict sun avoidance is critical to the success of your treatment.  Best, Dr. Green