I am 22 and hair is falling at 40 strands per day from the last year. How could it be stopped?

Hair loss!

40 hairs is still withing the normal range of falling that the books describe but the degree of falling is diferent person to person. The thing is that is better to do a complete evaluation to determine if indeed the roots and lenght of the hairs are normal. And after that determine if there is need to run other test. In the initial evaluation we check the scalp with a microscope from the roots to the tips, we measure the density and hair thining in diferent areas of the scalp and then we decide what is the next step. Every patient is unique in their own characteristics and we need to address each patient in different way!!

Mexico Hair Restoration Surgeon

Am I losing hair

The average person loses 100-150 hairs each day and regrows the same number of hairs. Ae you showing signs of balding?Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.  to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair falling out

you didn't mention your sex, but hair loss is normal for most of us. If you are thinning noticeably, I would get some hormone testing and, if a male, get on Propecia. This is NOT for women however as female hair loss is mor related to stress and hormone changes.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

40 strands per day

I'm not sure if you are male or female, but 40 hairs per day could be consistent with the normal amount of hair you would be expected to loose and replace in a single day due to the normal hair cycle.  If you are loosing more hair than you are growing then you need a consult with a hair professional to determine why and develop a treatment plan specific to the problem. 

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

22 with hair thinning

The most likely cause is androgenetic (male pattern baldness), but you need to have an evaluation with a physician to determine the type of hair loss. Start with your primary doctor and have an evaluation to assure you are generally healthy and have no medical problems contributing to the hair loss, then see someone who focuses on hair loss to determine the type of hair loss and possible treatments.
Best to you,
Dr. Norcom

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician