I'm 21 years old and have had hair loss for the past 4-5 months. What do I do for regrowth?

I am 21 years old and have had hair loss for the past 4-5 months. Now the hairfall has stopped (after i changed my shampoo), but i lost a lot of hair during those months. I do not have hyper- or hypo-thyroidism, my hemoglobin levels are normal (as checked recently). I also am a good sleeper. Only problem - tests showed that I am highly deficient in vitamin D and I also have eosinophilia. So i am on medication for both now. Could these be the reasons for my hairfall? What do I do for regrowth?

21 year old with rapid hair loss

It is important for you to see a specialist for hair in your area that can examine your scalp and hair. Your hair loss could be as a result of an underlying medical condition, use of medication, natural shedding, or genetic predisposition to hair loss.  Unfortunately there is no way to know over the internet and thus the recommendation to see a local physician that specializes in this field.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Loss at 21

Thank you for your question. You will need a plan that should involve a Board Certified Dermatologist, a Registered Dietician, and evaluation by an internal medicine specialist to determine if any other testing is required. Be certain to be getting high quality protein, quality carbs, and quality fats every day. Excessive shampooing and harsh shampoos have a negative effect on hair growth. Find one recommended by your dermatologist. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Young Woman and Hair Loss

There is nothing as important as a proper diagnosis and early treatment.  You need to find a good hair specialist who can perform a scalp and hair microscopic evaluation.  You may also need some lab works to make sure there is no other medical condition responsible for your condition.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon