I am 20 and my hair fall is continuous since 2 years. What should I do?

Now my hairs are very critical.They fall off while combing, taking shower,taking hands to my hair. My father have also bald condition but I dont want to be bald.

At your age, your options are to slow down hair loss, or you can stop it, thicken your thinning hair, and save your hair

Thank you for your question. You’re 20-years-old and state your hair has been falling out for the past two years. There is also a family history of baldness where you say your father is bald, but you don’t want to be bald.

I can certainly give you some guidance. Although there’s no photo provided, your history is adequate for what is statistically likely the situation. A little background: I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I’ve been in practice in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I specialize in hair loss treatment, and I’m the founder of TrichoStem™ Hair Regeneration Centers, a technology that we developed for non-surgical treatment for male and female pattern hair loss.

Based on your history, you most likely have male pattern genetic hair loss, which is not unusual. We have seen many people who started losing hair by 17 or 18-years-old, or even younger, and would be completely bald by the time they were 22. We have had many patients like yourself, and as more people have learn about the technology we developed called Hair Regeneration, we are seeing younger people. The challenge is the genetics - what you are experiencing is rapid progression of hair loss, or shortening of the hair growth cycle. Many of your hairs are at their terminal growth cycle, so even after they’ve shed, if they don’t regrow, they’ll never grow because their hair follicle is no longer viable. The challenge with a young person is that you’re really not a good candidate for hair transplant because you don’t have enough hair from your donor area to transplant.

There are also variable responses to the medical treatments. I don’t think  minoxidil would make much of a difference for you. Finasteride is a drug that you take daily, but as of late, people are becoming more cautious about choosing to take it. This is an oral drug that inhibits an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase, which is an enzyme which causes the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, commonly referred to as DHT. DHT-sensitive hair follicles will actually thin and eventually stop growing. If you block that enzyme, you can slow down the progression. Unfortunately, only 60% of men respond to the drug, which is certainly not the best of odds. A lot of people are choosing not to take this drug because of concerns of sexual side-effects.

In our practice, we treat people like yourself with something called Hair Regeneration. Hair Regeneration is what we developed out of the technology we were using to help people with hair transplant to have better hair graft survival, but a side-effect was thinning hair became thicker. I eventually developed a protocol and process to use it for as a non-surgical solution for people with thinning hair. Even with people like yourself who have a history of hair loss in the family, and an aggressive hair loss pattern, I have been able to stop progression, reactivate hairs that are not growing, and we are able to induce thinning hairs to shed so thicker hairs to grow with Hair Regeneration.

Unfortunately, this is not a perfect solution. 99% of both men and women respond favorably, but the limitation is that you have to have hair follicles, so the earlier we catch someone, the better it is. That said, for someone like yourself who comes to our practice, my first recommendation would be to do Hair Regeneration. I’m not dissuading you from using finasteride or minoxidil, but even if people take finasteride, there tends to be a  significant decrease in compliance by the second year. We have patients who come to us from all over the world with very good results, and we’re extremely busy helping people with Hair Regeneration. For someone like yourself who wants to do everything possible to avoid baldness, I think it’s worth learning about this option and finding a practitioner near you who can offer this. I hope this was helpful, I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

If you're having hair loss and would like to know why, it is best to see a doctor for an examination.

If you're having hair loss and would like to know why, it is best to see a doctor for an examination.  The most common cause of hair loss for men is genetic balding.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Loss Plan

At age 20 male pattern balding can be devastating. Seeing a dermatologist or a full time well qualified hair transplant surgeon can confirm the diagnosis and where you are headed with your hair loss. At your age and feeling desperate you may seek hair restoration surgery but that may be a big mistake if a holistic approach to your hair loss is not followed. In hair restoration in a younger patient  a long term approach to hair loss needs to be taken. Find a well qualified hair restoration surgeon for proper diagnosis and develop a life long approach to combat your hair loss.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

10 years old with hair loss?

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Recommendations for you

Hello. I will recommend that you consider a treatment to reduce the speed/stop your hairline from going further back. Treatments such as Propecia/Rogaine or PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) are proven to be very effective. The use of non surgical treatments is to be continued for life and will not restore your previous hair line but will help you maintain your existing hair. In order to restore your hairline you could consider a Hair Transplant.We offer free consultations and can help you find the best treatment option to reach your goals!Best of lucks!

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon