Can I use my hand to clean the scab on my head 10 days post op? If not, how bad are its effects? (Photo)

hi, 10 days post op i called up my doctor, and he said i could use my hand to gently rub over my head so that the scab could be removed and in this process i some times unconsciously used my nails to remove the scab (not too roughly), have i done the right thing, because as for now i can see no transplanted hair on my scalp. Pl do have a look at pics and kindly let me know about my present situation, as i m in great tension regarding this. P.S - i had around 5000 grafts implanted in two days

If your doctor gave you specific instructions, you should follow your doctor's advice over strangers on the Internet.

If your doctor gave you specific instructions, you should follow your doctor's advice over strangers on the Internet.  If you are confused or concerned, just call your doctor.  Your doctor will appreciate it.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op hair wash

I recommend from day 10 the patient wash and massage the scalp when wet and massage with the weight of the fingers using the fingertips in a circular motion to break down any crusts. If performed twice daily, this will really speed up the healing process and break down the crusts and scabs. It will feel like grit coming off the scalp and this is part of the process.

If it’s the first surgery then some patients are  scared to massage but it really needs to be done. By day 15 you should have a pretty clean scalp, so don’t be shy but massage to speed up this procesAll the best

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

10 DAY POST OP HAIR WASHING

After one week all normal hair washing techniques should resume.  If you are worried about rubbing the scabs simply stand under the water stream or lay in a tub of water for 15 minutes.  After soaking you can simply wash your hair normally and the scabs will likely be gone.  Its also safe to resume all you normal activities.

Craig Barbieri, MD
Overland Park Phlebologist

Cleaning the crusting

Thank you for the pictures.  You should be fine. To be honest with you, would it have been ideal not to use your nails? Yes.  Ideally you use the pads of your finger tips and gently let the scabbing work its way off. That being said, by day 10 it really is hard to remove the follicle itself unless you really dug in to your scalp.  At this time I would not worry.  Relax, enjoy your hair restoration session and give it time to grow in.  Best of luck!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op care

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon