How successful is hair transplantation?

I am a 50 year male. I have thinned at the top but have sufficient hair on the back and side. How successful is hair transplantation? Please answer in percentage. Should i go for it?

Success of hair transplants are measured in graft survival, but dense coverage is often better achieved non-surgically

Thank you for your question. You’ve asked a question without submitting a photo, but you describe your situation very well: you’re 50-years-old, with thinning on top, and you describe a decent amount of hair on the back and the sides. You ask how successful hair transplant are in terms of percentages.

I can give you some guidance on how we consult patients like yourself in our practice. A little background: I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I’ve been in practice in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I am also the founder of TrichoStem™ Hair Regeneration Centers based on a technology we developed during hair transplantation to maximize results. This is a non-surgical treatment for hair thinning for both men and women, which I will describe as part of this discussion.

When you describe thinning at the age of 50, the first question is how good does your frontal hairline look? How slow has the progression been? At 50-years-old that with the amount of hair you have, the onset was fairly later in your life and the progression has been slow. So the question arises - is hair transplant your best option? This is a question we struggled with for many years, until the past few. When somebody came with a desire to have more hair before we developed Hair Regeneration, hair transplantation was the only option. The challenge was how much coverage you can achieve and what would be the survivability of the grafts. In the hair transplant field, doctors often compete by stating numbers of grafts and cost per graft. However, a year later, it is really how many grafts survive and how much coverage you have.

The challenge with someone with thinning hair is you have existing hair. When hair grafts are placed, putting aside graft survivability, existing hair will shed permanently, which is often referred to as collateral damage. At a certain point, there is a challenge in how much coverage we are able to achieve because you are losing a certain of your thinning hairs. With the understanding that the thicker hairs are from the permanent zone will give you a little coverage, but in the end density becomes problematic. This is a question where I look at our results, I realized there was an opportunity.

We developed a process called Hair Regeneration  using a material called extracellular matrix combined with platelet-rich plasma (PRP). The original intention for this technology was to help the hair grafts heal better, and a side-effect was thinning hairs became thicker. Now, in our practice if someone has a reasonable density as evaluated through microscopy, then we tell people not to do hair transplant but to do Hair Regeneration because we are able to stop the progression of hair loss. We are able to restore or reactivate hair that hasn’t been growing, and we can induce thinning hair to shed to allow for thicker hairs to grow in.

I observed that with Hair Regeneration in the right candidate, the coverage effect can actually exceed hair transplants. Timing is very important and is very much an opportunity. Before anyone goes through a hair transplant in our practice, we first aim for stabilization. Even if they have advanced hair loss, we want to maximize stabilization, reactivation, and regrowth. The limitation of Hair Regeneration is the number of salvageable hair follicles, so if somebody has a frontal hairline that is really receded, hair transplant is still a very good option, but if they have existing hair, I always recommend Hair Regeneration.

I think you should first meet with doctors who have experience with this technology as well as hair transplantation. You need to be cautious because in the hair transplant field, a lot of people are trying to offer something similar to this technology, but mainly try to get you to do hair transplant. In our practice we have almost eliminated the need for hair transplant for people with thinning hair because the reality is, once they have good results with Hair Regeneration, they’re typically satisfied and don’t move forward with surgical procedures. This is our experience in our practice, and we treat men and women from all over the world with thinning hair with over a 99% success rate using Hair Regeneration.

In answering your question in terms of percentages, there is always a range and it is very individual, so it is hard to give an exact number because you have to look at the context of the level of hair loss, the overall medical situation, and the type of hair being transplanted. There are a lot of factors that contribute to survivability and maximum outcome. We help people first with Hair Regeneration, and very often that is more than enough to avoid hair transplantation altogether. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

You should have a hair transplant based on the consultation you have with your doctor. It is successful but you need to

You should have a hair transplant based on the consultation you have with your doctor.  It is successful but you need to know the risks.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Successful Hair Transplant

Hair transplantation is successful if a candidate is selected carefully and surgery is performed correctly by an experienced surgeon. Please review link below to educate yourself on finding a well qualified hair transplant surgeon, then review before and after pictures on my website. Best wishes in your search.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplants work well most of the time

However, they are medical procedures and 100% results in 100% of patients does not happen. It is important to improve your odds by going to a doctor you like and trust. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Hair transplantation

This is a very successful minor type of surgery that we have been doing for 26 hears in Los Angeles. See below examples of many patients, some robotically done and others done before the robot was introduced 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Well, it's tough to say what you mean by success.  Success in my opinion is meeting expectations.  The procedure itself works very well in moving hair from one location to another.  In experienced hands the results are permanent and look totally natural.  Your best bet is to find a doctor with whom you think you can trust and schedule a consult to review your desires.

Tim Neavin, MD