Can hair of my different body parts be implanted on my head? (Photo)

M female ..29 years old..want to go for hair transplant.. Can hair of my different body parts be implanted on my head

The best site for donor hair is generally the back and sides of the head

The best site for donor hair is generally the back and sides of the head. These hairs will match closest in terms of texture to the hair in the area to be transplanted. Using follicles from other areas of the body is not ideal as the result can look very unnatural. I would recommend you consider these areas first as they will allow for optimal results. 

West Hollywood Hair Restoration Surgeon

Donor hairs can be harvested from other parts of your body. This is theoretically possible but it does not mean

Donor hairs can be harvested from other parts of your body.  This is theoretically possible but it does not mean it would look normal or you will be happy with the results.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Female loss

you should have a thorough consultation with a hair restoration surgeon who can evaluate your history, scalp and hair, as well as discuss the possible options for you. Female hair loss can be caused by many issues, some of which are reversible. Donor hair from the back of your scalp is best for transplant.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Female Hair Loss

Women with female pattern hair loss need to have a full medical evaluation to first determine if there is any reversible cause.  This generally includes a history, physical exam, and lab work - all done by a doctor who specializes in hair disorders.  Once the diagnosis is certain, a treatment plan can be determined which for women can include hair transplant but generally as a last resort.  It is possible to transplant hair from one part of the body to another but this would be even a further last resort given that body transplanted hairs are typically more difficult to transplant than hairs on your head. 

Looking at your photo, you may be a candidate for cellular therapy which has been shown to be very effective in helping to stop hair loss and promote growth.  I have treated hundreds of women with hair loss with cellular therapy and they are generally my most satisfied patients because cellular therapy is a safe procedure with very little down time.  

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Body hair for my thinning

A female with your balding pattern is best treated with scalp micropigmentaiton, not hair transplants, see below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hi and thanks for your question. Hair restoration is usually performed by transplanting hair from more dense areas of the scalp ( occipital area) to those areas which are thinner like the frontal and crown regions. Hair transplantation using body hair isn't as successful due to the decreased density and survival rates for body hair versus scalp hair. Make sure you see a physician who is very experienced in hair transplant surgery to discuss all your options. Best of luck!

Richard Chaffoo,MD,FACS,FICS

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon 

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS