Do I have gynecomastia?

25 years old. Have always had a normal chest. Over the past 3 months I've seen some abnormalities in my chest. Doesn't pain when I pinch the back of nipples. My chest looks normal when the nipples are erect but otherwise they look puffy. Pictures attached. I've been advised to take letrozole for 2 weeks followed by tamoxifen for 1. Please advise.

Do I Have Gynecomastia?

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have breast enlargement and you think you are an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.

Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. A board certified Plastic Surgeon will recommend the best one suited for you during a one-on-one, in-person consultation.

Gynecomastia Options

Your descriptions sounds like you may have gynecomastia. It does warrant for you to consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia

Hi Member,

Thanks for your question. Based on what your describing as puffy, it seems that it may be gynecomastia. You need a physical exam to truly now if it just fat, male breast tissue, or a combination of both. 90% of the causes are idiopathic meaning unknown but the 10% are due to medications, illegal drugs and hormone imbalances. If your taking the medications they have you on, they believe the cause is hormonal. If they have developed seldomly have i seen them shrink by taking the medications. Get a formal physical exam by a board certified plastic Surgeon. Good luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Do I have gynecomastia?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Do I have gynecomastia? (Photo)

Hi there,
You might be having a very mild grade if at all you have gynaecomastia.
a personal examination will be best.
the choice for correction is totally yours to make but at your age for best results you need surgery
best of luck 

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question and photos.  You should be seen in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine if you have glandular tissue that needs to be excised or fat that can be liposuctioned.  

Dr. Results 
Miami, FL