Gynecomastia surgery. Can you please suggest something to get rid of this hardness on my left nipple?

I went for a gynecomastia surgery. It was very well done. Suddenly on 9th day I by my fault lifted some weight and due to that the severe stiffness has been there in my left nipple area and I feel lot of pain sometime it was unbearable to hold. The operation has completed the period of one month and now I also feel pain in my left nipple. I consulted with my doctor but he told me everything is normal but there is lots of hardness in my left nipple. Can u pls suggest me something to get rid of it

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia Surgery Healing

Hi tony and guy,
Thanks for the post. This question comes up quite frequently. Please refer to the reference below for more information. I will say that at 1 month you are still in the early phases of healing and firmness under the nipple could be scar tissue, especially if it wasn't there right after the surgery.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

This firmness sounds normal at this stage of healing and scar formation

t and g,

If you have seen your surgeon, and ruled out bleeding, etc. the firmness then represents scarring under the areola and should gradually subside without any intervention. This sounds normal.  I hope this helps.  Data concerning gynecomastia treatment is found at the link below.

Thomas M. DeWire Sr., MD (retired)
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Post gynecomastia surgery and hardness

Thank you for your question. It is not un common to develop hardness after surgery especially after hematoma. It usually get softer with time. I would recommend to follow up with your surgeon and follow up with his/her instructions.