Is it gynecomastia? I can feel huge lumps in both my chests. (Photo)

Age: 27 Height: 5.11Weight: 74kgsBMI: Normal. i know this mush that i have some amount of gland in both my chest but less amount of fat. and i am not at all comfortable with liposuction. is it possible to go with Gland excision only (without liposuction). 1. what is diff b/w subcutaneous mastectomy and Gland excision. 2. All the doctors i have spoke in India perform the surgery only in General Anesthesia, but most of western countries (Youtube Live surgery Videos) surgery performed in Local. Why?

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Options

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Gynecomastia

Hi Mr. Arun,
    Thanks for your question. You do have gynecomastia. Modern treatment of gynecomastia consists of Liposuction and gland excision. By performing liposuction along with gland excision, a more uniform contour of the chest is achieved. The skin contraction is also more uniform and better. 
   I perform the procedure under LOCAL ANESTHESIA. 

Madhu Kumar, MCh
Bangalore Plastic Surgeon

Is it gynecomastia? I can feel huge lumps in both my chests.

Hi arun,
You have gynaecomastia.
I dont understand what part of the liposuction scares you.
you will get the best possible results with liposuction and gland excision only.
Both gland excision and sub cutaneous mastectomy ( in men)are essentially the same.
preference for general anaesthesia is given because when you are the most comfortable, the surgeon is operating at peace and can assure the best results
best of luck

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question and photographs.  There are multiple different types of gynecomastia.  Based on your photos you appear to have excess glandular tissue as well as some lipodystrophy or excess fat in your chest.  You would most likely benefit from both direct gland excision and some adjunctive liposuction.  There are many ways to deal with this problem.  It is best to followup with a board certified plastic surgeon to specifically address your concerns and discuss the treatment plan that is right for you.  I personally perform these under general anesthesia but every surgeon has a different approach.

James Shoukas, MD
Lake Mary Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is likely that you will need excision of glandular tissue to improve your chest.  The procedure does not have to be performed with general anesthesia and depends on the surgeon and your preference.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Gynecomastia - can I have surgery instead of liposuction

Thank you for asking about your gynecomastia surgery.
  • Yes, your photo suggests that you have gynecomastia.
  • Anesthesia depends on the patient's preference and the size of the gynecomastia.
  • Your photo suggests that you might be more comfortable if asleep.
  • Young men often prefer to be asleep for surgery - 
  • Liposuction is often used with surgery to improve the result -
  • Otherwise there may be a visible cut-off where the surgery is done.
  • This is something to discuss with your own surgeon.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS