Greasy Scalp, losing hair everyday. What treatment should I be getting? (photos)

Hi, I am a 26 years old guy. I have been loosing hair regularly for the last few years. I am now very worried because it has reached alarming stage. I have a very greasy scalp, i have to shampoo everyday even then by the evening i feel the grease. What would be your recommendation? If a transplant can work on my scalp, which techniques is most advised and which ones should i definitely avoid. Does transplant also help in stopping hair fall which is already present?

Having a greasy scalp can be due to excess sebum production and does not necessarily correlate with increased hair loss

Having a greasy scalp can be due to excess sebum production and does not necessarily correlate with increased hair loss. It's normal for patients to lose up to a 100 hairs a day. If you feel like your scalp is thinning I would recommend a consultation with a physician so you can first consider a preventative medication such as Rogaine or Propecia. A hair transplantation will not stop further hair loss but can certainly help add density to thinning regions. 

West Hollywood Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss and oily scalp is not directly related. If you are concerns it is best to see a doctor for an examination

Hair loss and oily scalp is not directly related. If you are concerns it is best to see a doctor for an examination for possible treatment plans.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Greasy scalp

It is best to have a consultation with a hair restoration surgeon who can evaluate your scalp and hair, as well as discuss all options available to you, and assess whether or not you are a good candidate at this point. A hair transplant does not stop the hair from falling out, preventative medications such as finasteride can help slow the progression of hair loss. Also, sometimes over washing your scalp can cause more production of oil, it could also be caused by the shampoo you are using. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Greasy Scalp, losing hair everyday. What treatment should I be getting?

Greetings

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Greasy Scalp

that kind of complaints are very common between AGA patients . you cant change or stop greasy hair characteristics . you have been start to loose yur hair and it will go on . eventually you need a restoration surgery . Hair transplant , I advice FUE , does not help in stopping hair fall which is already present.

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Greasy Scalp - losing hair

Having a greasy scalp does not lead to hair loss.  You should shampoo to clean your hair.  Many times when the hair is oily, you should shampoo, rinse and repeat at the same time to be sure the oils on the scalp are washed away as well.  

Your hair loss is another issue entirely and you should have an evaluation with an experienced physician to determine a proper treatment plan. 

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Grease is not the problem

Its' not the grease that's the problem so don't over treat it. You could be doing yourself some harm by traumatizing your scalp, but it won't change your hair loss.  You appear to have some early male pattern balding. Given your young age, you should consider medical therapy such as finesteride -- that is to slow the process. Once stable, consider grafting. I prefer the ARTAS robotic system because not only does it insure that your donor area looks good (that back of your head), it can be used to make the sites for grafting as well, thereby protecting your existing hairs.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Greasy Scalp, losing hair everyday

Best to use a good shampoo to treat the excess oils in the scalp. If you are losing hair, then see a doctor who specializes in hair loss. The two presentations are unrelated

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon