How many grafts are needed to look very dense?

I am 22 yr old and my hair are falling from the age of approx 16 and they are still falling does transplant works on me.

In general a non balding man has about 200 hairs in a square centimeter. If you want to have original density that would be it.

In general a non balding man has about 200 hairs in a square centimeter.  If you want to have original density that would be it.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

22 year old male with hair loss

Do not do a hair transplant at age 22.  Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

What factors affect the appearance of density after a hair transplant?

It isn't as simple as asking how many grafts are required for density. There are several factors that will affect the appearance of density after a hair transplant - incision density, hair calibre, hair curl, hair colour, percentage graft growth, transplant location (ie hairline vs midscalp vs crown) and existing hair density.The first step at an early age however is to try and stabilise hair loss with topical and oral medication, or low level light therapy since the density achieved by adding transplanted hairs in a thinning area will not be maintained if the native hairs continue to miniaturise.The illusion of greater density can also be achieved using camouflage products such as coloured hair sprays or microfibres. 

Greg Williams, FRCS (Plast)
London Hair Restoration Surgeon