Should I go for fue or weaving? (photos)

Well I'm 20 years old and I'm loosing hair since I was 17...well now my baldness is clearly visible as I have pure bald patch on the left and on the right side...so I was hoping for an answer so that I can gain my hair back and is safe too!!

Hair transplants are limited procedures, and not right for your age, but you can stop your hair loss now non-surgically

Thank you for your question. I understand you’re 20-years-old and you’ve been losing hair since you were 17. You’re concerned about the increasingly obvious hair thinning that you’re experiencing and you’d like to find a safe solution for it.

To first give you a little about my background — I am a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I am the founder and developer of TrichoStem™ Hair Regeneration Centers, which offer a non-surgical treatment alternative to hair transplants and hair loss drugs. We’ve been very successful in treating hair loss in both men and women with this minimally invasive approach, so I can certainly give you some guidance on this matter.

To offer a bit more clarification on your situation, what you seem to be dealing with is genetic pattern hair loss or androgenetic alopecia, with relatively rapid and aggressive progression. Establishing the rate of hair loss progression is important as this determines how severe the hair loss can turn out to be. There is a general guideline called the Rule of Decades, which states that 20% of men in their 20s will have hair loss, 30% of men in their 30s will have hair loss, and so on. Since the onset of your hair loss was quite early at 17 years of age, we can say that you’re experiencing more aggressive pattern hair loss.

You also mention that you want a “safe” solution, this leads me to think that you may already be familiar with hair loss drugs such as Rogaine and finasteride, particularly the risks of long-term sexual side effects associated with the latter, which are why many men opt not to take the drug.

In our practice, we developed our own alternative hair loss solution called Hair Regeneration. Hair Regeneration makes use of a combination of platelet-rich plasma and a wound-healing material called Acellular matrix. Platelet-rich plasma is a concentration derived from the patient’s own blood, and consists of healing and growth factors that are necessary for wound healing. The treatment itself consists of a single treatment of injections throughout the scalp in areas where hair thinning is most apparent. It will stop hair loss progression, allow the regrowth of hairs that are not actively growing, and cause thinning hairs to become thicker.

This treatment was initially developed to improve the results of hair transplants — improvement of graft survival and donor area healing. Fortunately, we observed that one of the side effects of the treatment caused existing thinning hairs to become thicker. When we used this treatment alone on patients with thinning hair, in many cases, it yielded results that were even superior to a hair transplant.

Currently, we have gathered over five years’ worth of data and have recorded more than a 99% success rate for both men and women of all ages who are dealing with pattern hair loss. We are also able to treat patients who are as young as 18-years-old, so it is certainly quite safe.

The treatment is usually a one-time injection; however, in some cases we will do a second injection between 12 and 18 months in order to build upon the results of the first injection. After the treatment, we follow up with our patients every three months in order to take photographic documentation of their improvement. It is certainly a remarkable treatment that has yielded a higher success rate in comparison to drugs and surgeries.

It is important to understand that hair transplants are inherently very limited. When procedures such as FUTs are done, wherein openings are made on the scalp for the hair graft placement, patients can experience a fair amount of native hair loss referred to as collateral damage. Many hair follicles can also become transected during an FUE procedure. For these reasons, I think the treatment like Hair Regeneration would be of more value to you.

Since time is critical for you, I suggest that you try to learn more about this option of regenerative treatment and look for a physician who offers a procedure like this. Hair Regeneration really intercedes with hair loss in a way that is unique from pharmacologic options, and with this treatment, we are able to sustain significant improvement for years in a way that is truly unparalleled. Learn more about this option, and when you find a doctor with whom you’re comfortable with, proceed with the treatment.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

If you are losing hair and would like treatment options, you should see a doctor in person. Internet is for general information

If you are losing hair and would like treatment options, you should see a doctor in person. Internet is for general information.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Loss under 23 Years of Age.

In my opinion and at this time I URGE you to go to a physician and immediately start on finasteride and minoxidil after a medical evaluation. This will halt or slow the progression of the loss. We do not have a crystal ball as to how much hair you will lose but have started at 17, rest assured you will lose more. Then after you stabilize the loss (you will have to take this medication forever to keep your hair) you can go for a transplant as long as you know you will stuck to finasteride for life to keep your natural native  hair. 

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Consider medications

At this stage of your hair loss and given your age, the best option is medications. You should consult a dermatologist about starting topical minoxidil and / or finasteride. I do not advise weaving your hair as this may result in accelerated hair loss and something called traction alopecia. It may be too early for hair restoration surgery including FUE

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Young and hair loss

Prevention will be worth its weight in gold.  

Organic products and shampoos that are sulfate free, used daily.  Multivitamins for hair and nails and tonic daily.  Can also consider and use minoxidil daily and look into and learn about risks and benefits of finasteride. 

You can then use the procedure to keep up with hair loss once you have consulted specialists, if you're rate of progression is slow,with smaller procedures to keep up with hair loss.  

Age alone should not be a determining factor, hair loss is more complex than that.  Velocity of hair loss, patient expectations, expected outcome, patient compliance are all determining factors.   

Most importantly, learn as much as possible regarding your hair loss so that you can make an informed decision regarding which options to choose for treatment. 

Good luck.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

FUE or "weaving" for 20 year old with beginning hair loss

In my opinion, it would be a mistake for someone your age with minimal hairline recession to undergo a hair transplant, whether by means of strip or FUE donor harvesting. I would also caution you about applying anything to your hair that could pull it out. Rather, the best thing you could do over the next few years would be to focus your attention on slowing the natural progression of hair loss with a combination of finasteride and/or minoxidil and/or low level laser therapy (LLLT).

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE or Weaving

For a 20 year old the best treatment is the drug finasteride taken daily. First you need an analysis with an instrument called HAIRCHECK and then when you get the information from this test assuming that nyou are losing hair elsewhere in your head and scalp, the the drug finasteride should be used to try to stop it. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon