How many fue grafts do i require? Would 3000 fue grafts sufficient for me to give me a natural look? M 26 yrs old guy. (photos)

FUE in a 26 yo M with large area to cover

Based on the photos you supplied, you have a large area to cover on the top and crown.  Add more photos showing the front hairline and resubmit question.   Also, it would help to see first hand what the donor hair in the back looks like.  Your major concern should be the front.  I would start with over 2500 if your donor allows and 9 to 12 months later have a 2nd transplant of another 2500.  You are likely heading to a class 6 or 7.  It is best to obtain photos or at least talk to other male family members and find out what they looked like hairwise at age 26.  This will give you an indication of what may be in store for you.  Also, you should speak with a hair transplant specialist as you likely would also benefit from adding finasteride to help maintain the hair you have.  A microscopic evaluation would be of benefit to assess the quality of the donor hair and the degree of miniaturization.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you are losing your hair and likely progressing to a Norwood 6 or 7 pattern you need to see a doctor for a better understandi

If you are losing your hair and likely progressing to a Norwood 6 or 7 pattern you need to see a doctor for a better understanding of what is possible with hair transplant surgery.  One surgery will not likely give you full coverage.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many fue grafts do i require? Would 3000 fue grafts sufficient for me to give me a natural look? M 26 yrs old guy.

Thank you for posting your question. From looking at the photos attached, just the first half of your scalp can require 3500 grafts. On average to restore an entire scalp, we can easily use 8k to 10k grafts. This of course is all donor region dependent. Hope this helps.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant at Age 26

You have significant balding and it does not look stable from your photographs and your balding may progress to a Norwood Class 6 and possibly a class 7. See an experienced full time hair restoration physician and work with him/her to develop a long term plan to help stabilize your hair loss and pursue medical as well as surgical options to combat your hair loss. See someone who is expert and performs both FUE and FUT and have them lead you to the correct donor extraction method. You do not want visible scarring should your balding become more extensive. Please follow link below for design consideration in patient with Class 6 balding. Also, when visiting my website review page on how to avoid a bad hair transplant result. Best wishes.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant

Hello, 3000 grafts is a reasonable estimate judging from your pictures. Hair design, angulation and graft survival all play a role. I can not see your donor area but if you have a sufficient capacity it should give you a good result.

How many grafts would I require?

You suggested 3000 grafts and that is a reasonable assumption. The value of 3000 grafts depends upon the thickness of your hair (fine, medium or coarse).

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Your answer regarding Hair Transplant

Hello.For what the photographs show you could use between 2500 and 3000 grafts if you desire and is your donor area allows it (which can only be determined in a one on one consultation)Personally, I would only add the grafts to your front and top areas. I consider that you need to be at least 30 years old before we can do some work in the back. The reason that I wait until my patients are 30 years old is because before that age the balding pattern is still unstable and we cant predict if you will bald more (which will ruin the acquired natural look).Best of lucks and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many grafts

Thanks for your question. Achieving a "natural" result is always the objective with a hair transplant. Your surgeon should not just fill in the deficiencies, but should think about how your hair loss will progress and place hair so things look natural 10 years from now. Rather than a focus on the absolute number of follicular units transferred - the angulation, the handling, and pattern of the grafts determines the result.  A natural result is enhanced by adding more hair. 3000 FUE grafts will surely benefit you.  
Best of luck with your hair restoration.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD