Fraxel laser for acne scars. How many days will it take before I can see the results? Are there any side effects?

Hi Dr. I have acne scars on my face.. and Dr suggests me for fraxel laser...I just want to know that in how many day I can see result..and is there any side effect of fraxel laser

Fractional treatments for acne scars

Our office specializes in fractional laser treatments and we would use the Fraxel, Fractional CO2, and Ematrix treatments for the condition. Make sure you prep your skin with Melarase creams or similar product prior to the laser. 

DR. Karamanoukian 

Acne scars and Fraxel Laser

Fraxel is a fabulous laser for treating acne scars and has superior results.  There is little down time with this laser and will take several treatments at the 1550 setting one month apart to see the results.  Because it takes several months for the skin to remodel from the Fraxel laser, the full effects can take up to one year.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with the Fraxel laser and scar treatments in general.

A picture tells a thousand words.... but Fraxel is a great 'general acne scar treatment'...

First of all, we need more information. What is the skin colour- are you Caucasian or darker skin ethnic? Secondly... and most importantly, what is your scar type, are they box car scars, rolling scars, ice pick , hypertrophic, pigmented, or red scars? Are they atrophic or tethered and anchored. 3-4 high res. pics will give us a better idea, and treatments can be tailored to your skin type AND scar type. 

As a general all round treatment, 1550 Fraxel is good for acne scars. You will need 3-5 treatments, spaced 6 - 8 weeks apart. Rolling scars do better than ice pick scars, so always pick a treatment based upon your scars and not the other way around.

As for side effects, darker your skin, more chances of skin darkening or PIH. This can be reduced with bleaching creams, SPF etc.... 

A picture will be great. 

Dr Davin Lim

Laser and cosmetic dermatologist
acnespecialists.com.au  
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Fraxel for acne scarring will take several treatments and almost a year to see results

fraxel is a great way to improve a very tough problem that heretofore was very resistant to treatment. usually at least four and more commonly six treatment sessions are required and i usually space them 3-4 weeks apart. your skin has to remodel itself thereafter, so you are looking at many months before you see the results you are hoping to attain.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon