Exxess skin removal should be after goal weight loss. What's the best way to get rid of it?

Doc I weighted around 170kg when I started the journey and today I am 130 but still I have to loose around 40kg. I am concerned about my sagging skin. How should I work on it. Or anything can be done only after I achieve desired weight. Please help.

Sagging skin after weight loss

Thank you for your question about your body lifting.

• Once you finish losing weight and stabilize, plastic surgery can removed the excess skin and restore your shape.
  • Don't worry - the more weight loss, the more skin sagging - but it can be removed.
  • Keep up the good work!

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Weight loss contouring

You should complete your weight loss before option for any contouring procedures.  A common first line of attack for patients who have lost weight is a body lift procedure. Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy. This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation). A physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations. Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Sagging Skin After Weight Loss

Thank you for your question.  Skin laxity associated with weight loss is a major concern for many patients.  The amount of laxity varies by pre op weight loss, body type, rate of weight loss, type of weight loss procedure age, and nutritional level.  Maintain a healthy diet and adequate nutrition is probably the only factor in your control.  Most surgeons usually recommend waiting at least 12-18 months after weight loss stabilization prior to proceeding with body contouring.  This recommendation ensures safety and the best outcomes.  There are always exceptions, but an in person consultation is typically required to identify these issues.  Consider scheduling a consult so that you can begin planning.  Best wishes on your journey.

Sagging Skin Concerns

Thank you for your question.  The best results in terms of skin removal after weight loss are achieved the closer you get to your ideal weight loss.  Having surgery with a BMI above 30 does increase your risk of a wound healing complication.  There are not successful ways to prevent the skin laxity.  You are correct that it is best to pursue skin tightening procedures as you get closer to your ideal or at least stabilized.  Consider an in person consultation for additional information and specifics.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Massive Weight Loss and Excess Skin

It sounds like you have excess skin after your weight loss. This is a common problem when one loses significant amounts of weight. Likely, it will unfortunately get worse as your weight loss continues. Once you have reached and maintained your goal weight you will likely be a candidate for many body contouring procedures. These will be tailored to your desires, goals, and particular trouble spots. It is not uncommon after massive weight loss for patients to be candidates for tummy tuck, body lift, belt lipectomy, circumferential tummy tuck, fleur de lis tummy tuck, breast lift, breast augmentation, arm lift, thigh lift, lower body lift, and face/neck lift. Which operation(s) are best for you are best determined in individual consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

J. Stewart Humphrey, MD
Cape Girardeau Plastic Surgeon

Excess skin weight loss

Thank you for your question. Many surgical procedures can be tailored to your goals after you attaining the desired weight loss. They can be combined and staged in order to get the best possible results with safely. Good Luck

Best results occur sith stable weight

I like your question. When can we do body contouring following weight loss? The answer is, it depends. Fat distribution os seldom consistent. Some areas, notably the abdomen will change substantially with weight change, other ares may not. Not infrequently, I might agree to do brachioplasty on depleted arms or an augmentation mastopexy on massively deflated breasts even though the patient still has a lot of fat to loose in other areas. It all depends on where and how you carry your weight. The truth is that in an ideal world, you should be at a stable weight for at least six months, but the world is not always so ideal. On occasion, the ability to "fix" one area incentivises the patient to continue their efforts to make their body better. In addition, some procedures can be done in a staged manner. The best example is with a panniculectomy to eliminate the apron of abdominal skin even though the patient is still large. You can do wonders and not interfere with a more complete abdominoplasty once you reach that perfect and sustainable weight. It's really all about your expectations, health, and the creativity of your doctor.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Excess skin

I congratulate you on your weight loss success and I urge you to continue with your efforts until you achieve your target weight. 

Once you achieve your goals, look for a board certified plastic surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery) in your area who can discuss the surgical options to correct the excess/loose skin. There are numerous options depending on what anatomic areas you find troublesome. Good luck.

Kenty Sian, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Sagging skin removal

Massive Weight loss is challenging!!!!! 

Unfortunately for most people with your degree of weight loss  are left with excess skin once they have achieved their goal weight.

The good news is that the skin can be removed surgically. 

There are a variety of procedures that patients with massive weight loss benefit from including body lift, brachhiplasty, thigh reduction and breast lifts or breast reduction.

The best thing you can do for now is continue with your weight loss and reach your goal weight. Once you have achieved that then find a plastic surgeon in your area who has an interest in body contouring surgery and go and have a consultation to discuss your options.

Best wishes

Richard 

Timing of skin removal

Hello, it sounds like you are well on your way to your goal.  It is best to achieve your stable weight before considering skin removal procedures.