Can excess cartilage causing asymmetry be shaved off without any complications ? (photos)

I had a deviated nose septum and got operated on them 4-5 years back. Everything is fine now. However, I am not happy with my nose symmetry.I am not sure when the asymmetry developed but I guess it developed gradually overthe years due to DNS. My left nostril has excess cartilage in comparison to my right nostril and hence my left nostril looks bigger/bulkier than my right one. I just want to retain my original nose symmetry and that is the only reason for which I am ready to get operated.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Tip refinement, surgery without complications, rhinoplasty, nasal asymmetry

The short and simple answer is that no surgical procedure can be undertaken with a guarantee that no complications will occur. With that being said surgery is always undertaken with the expectation that complication will not occur and that the surgery will accomplish the desired outcome. With asymmetry of the nasal tip cartilages achieving symmetry can, on occasion, be relatively simple but more often than not requires some complex surgical maneuvers necessitating the experience of a seasoned rhinoplasty surgeon. This is especially the case when a previous operation has been performed. The likelihood of a satisfactory outcome in the hands of an experienced surgeons is greater than 93%. With your nasal skin being slightly thicker more drastic measures might be necessary to accomplish the result  you desire. These may include cartilage grafts and thinning the skin. If you decide to pursue surgery I would recommend several consultations before choosing a surgeon.

Edward Farrior, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon