Is elevation of Depressed Cheek Bone (inward and posterior displacement) after fifteen year possible? (photo)

I was encountered an right side cheekbone fracture fifteen year back and now I want to elevate this bone in its original place. Is this possible? If yes , than please suggest the best possible surgical way. By seeing this attached X-Ray, can you suggest me, how much facial symmetry is compromised?

Doctor Answers 3

Is elevation of depressed cheek bone after 15 years possible?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for sharing your question and X-ray.  Even after 15 years you can have your cheek bone repositioned back into anatomic position by breaking the bone's attachments, reducing it into place and holding the bone with plates and screws until it heals.  Hope this helps.

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Cheekbone Repositioning

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is possible to reposition the now well healed cheekbone fracture by cutting the bone, bone grafting and plate and screw fixation. Whether the fracture is one year or fifteen years old, the procedure can still be done.

Elevation of Depressed Cheek Bone (inward and posterior displacement) after fifteen year possible?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi, it's possible to elevate the depressed malar bone however, it would entail an extensive facial surgery with saw cuts to the malar area, re-positioning and then metal screws and plates to secure the bone segment.  This seems a bit extreme in my humble opinion.  You might consider using cheek implants (thicker one on the depressed cheek) for cheek augmentation that would be far less invasive with a much faster recovery.  Cheek implants could add aesthetic improvement to both cheeks as well.

Hope this helps.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.