Do I have chest fat or man boobs? What should I do to get rid of this condition? (Photo)

I am a 25 year old male with BMI 22.09. Do I have chest fat or man boobs? Pics are attached. Please tell me the things I need to do in terms of workout, lifestyle and diet to get rid of this condition. In how much time can I expect to have a normal manly chest? Regards

Doctor Answers 10

Consult with a Board Certified Surgeon to Better Determine

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Chest fat or man boobs

without examining you it is hard to tell if it is fat alone or a combination of fat and gland. Diet and exercise can be done but there is no such thing as targeted fat loss to one area. I think if you do diet and lose weight and the problem persists that an evaluation by a plastic surgeon for a surgical excision is warranted.

Julio Garcia, MD
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Fat on chest or breast tissue

It is impossible to tell without a physical exam.
See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to examine you.
If it is fat, weight loss and working out will help.
If it is glandular tissue - it will need surgery to correct.
Also - no steroids, no weed.These are known to contribute to male glandular development.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Chest Fat or Man Boobs

You need to be examined by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia to determine if you have fat or fat and breast tissue. If you have only fat, (known as pseudogynecomastia) dieting and exercise may reduce your chest, or you could have liposuction or even CoolSculpting to remove fat. However, if breast tissue is involved you will need that to be surgically excised. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Male chest surgery

Most male chests that are large consist of fatty tissue and can sometimes consist of glandular tissue. Fatty tissue is best treated by liposuction.  The glandular tissue may need to be excised directly. Best to be evaluated in person.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Great Candidate!

You are a great candidate for the procedure called Gynecomastia!  It will be a relatively simple procedure and recovery because the elasticity of your skin looks good and you should have a very nice result!

Jose M. Soler-Baillo, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 92 reviews

Treatment of gynecomastia

You do have gynecomastia and this is typically a combination of both fat and breast tissue.  The fat can be liposuctioned but the breast tissue will need a surgical excision.  On physical examination we can determine if it is more glandular breast tissue vs. fat.  

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 19 reviews


You appear to have gynecomastia since your breast volume is out of proportion with your other body fat. There are excellent surgical options to remove this if you wish. Consult with a plastic surgeon who does this procedure. Good lluck.

Scott W. Vann, MD, FACS
Savannah Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews


Thank you for the photos and you do appear to have gynecomastia which could be confirmed on physical examination or with a mammogram

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

Liposculpture for Gynecomastia

It's unlikely weight loss and working out will reduce your chest appearance. From the photographs it looks like you have gynecomastia (male breasts). Gynecomastia is often an inherited condition that cannot be improved without surgery. Refined techniques using liposculpture that can reduce the size of your breast and improve your chest contour. Small incision surgery with a liposuction approach can safely and effectively help without the need for general anesthesia. Seek examination from a board certified plastic surgeon familiar with these improved approaches to discuss the best options for you.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.