Should I go for Botox in masseter muscle and how many units is recommended? (Photos)

I have a very prominent square face. My doctor suggested I go for jaw reduction using Botox. I am worried how drastic the change may be and what could be the possible side effects. Would you recommend I go for the treatment? If yes, then how many units would you advise? Also, how long does the effect last? Thanks in advance.

Botox - jaw reduction

Botox can be very effective to improve the "square" appearance to the jaw. I think that you would benefit from the procedure. I often us 12.5 - 15 units per side and place it where the muscles bulges and appears most prominent when biting down. 

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Botox does well for prominent masseters

Botox /Xeomin/Dysport do well to reduce these muscles. No need for anything drastic. Do one visit and see what you think. Change is gradual so tell your doctor you want minimal change at first. You can see what results are and decide where to go from there. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox or Xeomin may be considered for narrowing a square jawline.

If the width of the back of your lower jaw is due to masseter enlargement, you may consider trying a neurotoxin. Do you regularly chew gum?

Results tend to be subtle, and we usually start with a 50 unit dose - 25u per side, and the majority of the product may be injected at the lower part of the masseters to decrease the squareness of the back of the lower jaw.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Masseter Injections

For women, a softer, less prominent jawline is usually considered to be more feminine, and therefore, more attractive. The Botox, injected in both sides of the jaw, will selectively relax the masseter in the days following your injection, gradually making it less prominent and square. The width of your jawline will slowly narrow, transforming your facial shape into more of an oval or heart.

Typically patients receive 50-70 units for masseters, based on the strength of these muscles.

Upon your assessment, your skilled and qualified injector will be able to provide you with a quote and will determine if you're a good candidate for this treatment.

Take care.

Botx masseter

Hi seen your pic for jaw reduction depending on the muscle bulk and strength of your masseter dosage can vary between 20-40 units on either side to get optimal results .gradual onset of results occur to last for months however a retouch can be done on further follow up if needed.

Botox to help slim the jawline

Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin have all been used to help slim the jawline when it's been due to excess jaw muscles. The number of units will vary among the different relaxers and relatively how large your muscles are. Results develop gradually over several weeks, and usually last several months.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox. Typically around 25 units on each side are used for the masseters. You may need additional units to achieve your desired goal. Also, when injecting tat area, Botox may last 3-3.5 months depending on the strength of the muscles. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox for masseters

You look like you would be a great candidate. Your physician or surgeon would need to assess whether the masseter muscle is actually contributing to the width along the lower face. Typically 20 to 30 units would be used on each side. 

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for masseteric hypertrophy

Hello and thank you for your question. Botox can be a great treatment for masseteric hypertrophy.  This can help feminize the angle of the face.  I typically start with 30U per side.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Botox in Masseter Muscle

I generally use 25 Units in each side for a good effect.  There are some patients who need it down a second time to have the best results since their muscles area very strong.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green