I have gynecomastia. I'm obese, heavy thighs, planning surgery. I'm 22. Can you give me guidance & treatment option? (Photo)

Hormonal profile is : Testosterone, Total 365.000 ng/dL TSH 1.67 μIU/mL Estradiol 25.400 pg/mL Prolactin 18.5 ng/ml (reference range =2.5-17) FSH 1.36 mIU/mL LH 8.13mIU/mL An endocrinologist wanted me to go for MRI again to rule out prolactinoma before surgery. Do you think it's necessary? Prolactin levels can fluctuate a wee bit so why not ignore? Can gynecomastia come back after treatment? Estrogen is bit high as well. How can we rule out XXY Kf syndrome condition?

Ideal Weight to Consider Gynecomastia Surgery

Three options exist for surgery. Smaller procedures can actually be done in the office with light oral sedation. Adolescents frequently do better with a light general #anaesthetic.Twilight or IV sedation are another great choice. All procedures are outpatient either in the office or a certified outpatients surgery facility. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery.
 Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another. All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

I have gynecomastia. I'm obese, heavy thighs, planning surgery. I'm 22. Can you give me guidance & treatment option?

You should talk to your Endocrinologist about your concerns. The Gynecomastia itself can be treated easily, but a full work up of your Endocrine status should be done. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Guide

I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, your photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Gynecomastia and obesity

Thank you for the question and from the photos alone and your description, weight loss might be a better option then surgery.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD