I'm 21 yrs old and have asymmetrical cheeks. What procedure would you recommend? (photos)

Am 21 and when i take selfies i notice there is assymmety in my cheeks.The right cheek is flat where as the left cheek is round and it is so noticeable.What should i do?

Doctor Answers 7

Addressing asymmetries

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
While symmetry is definitely perceived as beautiful to the human eye, even the most attractive people are significantly asymmetrical. Chasing symmetry with surgery or other noninvasive cosmetics is a slippery slope, difficult to achieve, and with unrealistic expectations often leads to disappointment. That is not to say that symmetry cannot be improved, but it is unlikely to be perfect. 

If you're going to try to improve it, hyaluronic acid fillers are definitely the way to go. Voluma lasts approximately two years, give or take, and can be a great bang for your buck. If you don't like it, it can be dissolved. It's a win win. 

Make sure you choose a dermatologist, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon board certified in their specialty. Wish you the best. 

Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 123 reviews

Asymemtric cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Manya92,

The simplest way to correct your uneven cheeks is to use a filler (Juvederm, Voluma, or Radiesse). These filler injections are very quick (10-15 minutes) and can last up to 24 months. There is no down time and risks are very small. If you want a more permanent solution, then I suggest you have a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon for surgical options.

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Voluma will restore the cheek area

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for posting a photo. Voluma is a new facial filler that can last up to two years while instantly giving volume to the cheeks. This will help to give your cheeks are more defined look. Consult with your doctor to decide if Voluma is right for you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
3.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Treating asymmetric cheeks with filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Many people have asymmetric cheeks (and faces), so you are not alone.  I would recommend something like restylane or juvederm ultra, or potentially Voluma from your dermatologist, safe and effective products that are very versatile and natural in look and feel.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

I'm 21 yrs old and have asymmetrical cheeks. What procedure would you recommend?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If any asymmetry than very very minor. Might try Juvederm ultra injection first to see if you are satisfied with the outcome. Than progress to Voluma injections. 

I'm 21 yrs old and have asymmetrical cheeks. What procedure would you recommend? (photos)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Everyone has asymmetrical cheeks. the trouble is that your eye is senitized to your asymmetries.  the unfortunate truth is that when you  that when you try to fix one aspect of the asymmetry the others become more obvious.  It is easy to fall into a death spiral.

If you must do something, you should do something that can be modified or even reversed. I strongly suggest an HA filer like voluma, not anything that cannot be easily changed.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Fat graft or Sculptra filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You are young so fat grafting to the face would be a better long term option.  If you did not want to go through a small operation with anesthesia, then Sculptra filler will be a good option.  I would advise you to see a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Good luck!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.