3 unsuccessful hair transplantation attempts.

Age 28 past 5 years I had undergone 3 surgeries.First one FUE followed by 2 FUT.After each surgery I noticed that within 9-10 months I see a noticeable growth but after 12-15 months the transplanted area starts getting thin.Now i have reached a stage where there is a big bald patch at my back of head ( where I have not undergone any surgery) and hairs at the front and centre are very thin.Not sure if there is any hope left for me.Also to mention in these 5 years I have rarely left minoxidil 5%

Thank you for sharing your experience. You may want to follow up with your doctor or see another doctor for an examination.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Correct Diagnosis Before Hair Transplant

Without knowing the specifics of your case and what your scalp looked like before your first surgery it is difficult to diagnose your specific situation. You should see a dermatologist and potentially have a scalp biopsy. Lichen Plano Pilaris and other causes of scalp inflammation and hair loss need to be considered. A correct diagnosis by a qualified doctor is very important. Most reputable hair transplant surgeons will send you for a Dermatologists opinion if the diagnosis of hair loss is in question. Do not see a hair transplant sales person.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Different options for you

Dear m21071988
Continue to use Minoxidil consider adding Propecia, laser therapy or PRP to complement.
This doesn't sound very common, I would suggest you to visit a dermatologist and possibly have a biopsy done to see if there is any inflammation. If there is, it can be treated with steroid injections or cream depending on the diagnosis of the dermatologist. This may be the reason why the hair isn't growing like it should.
Best of lucks and please do not hesitate in asking more questions.

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon

Failures of hair transplants

What you described is a classic diagnosis of DUPA (Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia) a condition which Dr. Robert Bernstein and I first described and published in the medical literature. I see you are from New York, so I would recommend that you visit him. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon