3 months post rhinoplasty, still can't see the result. (Photo)

I had a rhinoplasty 3 months ago. All I asked my surgeon was reduction in my alar. It's been 3 months now but the broadness of my nose is still the same. My nostrils look rather pinched up. It's looking worse as the swelling is going down. My doctor is not giving my steroid shots as he says it'll shrink down the cartilage. I'm really worried as I've paid a hefty amount and I'm really unhappy. Plz help me!!!

Rhinoplasty Recovery

At 3 months, you are still early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Alar plasty

I'm not sure if you underwent an alar plasty or a tip plasty.  In alar plasty nothing is done to the nasal tip but only to the sidewalls called the nostrils where they meet the cheek area.Please l address that with you surgeon.  There is a possibility that you had some miscommunication and did not get what you had requested.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

You appear to have a nice improvement 3 months after rhinoplasty surgery.

You appear to have a narrower lower third of your nose, with possible tip elevation and narrowing. You look better three months postoperative, and you still appear swollen.

Digital photos are not a substitute for an examination. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, or consider getting a second opinion from another reputable rhinoplasty specialist.

Hope this helps.

Dr j

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar reduction

If all that was done was an alar base reduction, you should see some  narrowing.  A worm's eye view would be helpful as well.  Best of luck.

Post Op swelling

Swelling is expected after surgery.  At three months there is still quite a bit of swelling which can be masking your final result.  Ask your surgeon if he or she would be amenable to night time taping.  I recommend this to many of my patients who have excessive swelling in the recovery period.  Every physician is different and you need to check with your surgeon first. 

3 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 3 months after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD