29 Yr Old male, Transplanted area skin texture is still different and feels like hyperpigmented. Any suggestions? (photo)

Hello, I had a FUE on the hairline area with 1800follicles on 06-Aug-2016. There was lot of redness in the recipient area and doctor advised me use FUSIWAL-B cream (fusidic acid plus beclomethasone) . I has been 5 weeks since then, but my skin texture is still different from my normal skin. Pls advise how much approx time will it take for the skin to have the normal texture and also some medication that may expedite the process .

A month from FUE

Skin changes at one month may continue to change and get better with time. Wait it out and if you see problems a few months out, go back to your doctor and ask about it

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Redness after a hair surgery

The redness occurs  because the hair transplant surgeon needs to make hundreds or even thousands of tiny slits in the scalp so that hairs can be extracted and inserted as needed. These tiny slits can be compared to very small wounds, so it is completely normal for the skin to react by becoming red. Due to the fact that clients are given antibiotics before the surgery, the scalp is not likely to get infected. But if the redness seems excessive, abnormal and comes with pain  and swelling it can indeed be signs of an infection and the doctor should be contacted. But a scalp that is just red is completely normal and not a reason to worry.The exact degree of redness that will follow a hair transplant is hard to predict in advance. The redness will depend on several different factors, with one being the skin complexion of the individual. Pale individuals might experience more redness that lasts longer than those with dark skin where the redness may never be noticeable. Those with sensitive and reactive skin might also have more redness than others. Healthy individuals with good healing abilities will heal faster and have less redness than others. Luckily, the redness after a hair transplant will for most people go away after a couple of weeks and the skin will go back to its regular tone
All the best

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon