28 year old undergone gynecomastia surgery. Is this normal? (Photo)

Hi All I have reduced from 100 kg to 74 kg in 2013.Recently went through gynecomastia Surgery and currently into fourth week after surgery. I have few doubts in my mind. 1. Any observations from before n after pics? 2. I can see my left chest being softer and little sagging than right one which is harder.Is that Normal? 3. My chest side line both right and left are curvy instead of straight line.Will I get it straight over a period? 4. How much my skin will contract over a period? Thanks

Healing Process Post Male Breast Reduction

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. 

Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. I suggest you get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens. It important to prevent any damage to the surgical sites as you are healing. This will decrease your chance of requiring #revision procedures in the future. The best advice is to be patient as it is still very early in your post-operative #healing. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia Surgery Healing

Hi inception2015,
Thanks for the post and the photos. At 1 month you are relatively early in the healing process and you could still see some improvement as the swelling subsides and the skin re-drapes. That being said, your weight loss may have affected the degree to which your skin will tighten. I would wait until you are at least 6 months post op to determine whether any further procedures need to be done.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Is this a normal gynecomastia result?

Thank you for your pictures. It seems to me that you still have some excess fat and skin of your chest wall. More aggressive liposuction and possibly skin excision may be necessary. Please get second opinion consultation from several board certified plastic surgeons.

You appear to have excess skin.  How much smaller it will get is hard to say, but if you want a flatter chest and flatter sides, you will likely also need skin excision at some point.

Gyneomastia surgery

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. Four weeks is too early to judge your results. There is still swelling. In general skin retraction will occur over time. It is not possible to predict how much skin retraction will occur. In patients who experience significant weight loss, the skin elasticity changes and retraction may be less. Time will tell. Continue to follow-up with your surgeon who will be able to help manage your expectations and determine how the healing process is going. Best of luck.  

Jennifer Capla, MD

Gynecomastia recovery

It is common to take several weeks for the final healing following gynecomastia. Wearing a compression garment can help. Shrinkage will depend on 2 factors, how much tissue was removed and how much elasticity remains in the skin. Be patient and have your surgeon follow the recovery with you. 

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon