How to tell if my hernia/diastasis recti came back? (photos)

I am 8weeks post op diastasis recti/umbilical hernia repair surgery. I'm noticing as the day goes by the puffier I look. I'm worried the separation has returned. When I relax I looks like I can push my belly out far..if I flex it does go flat. Could it be seperated again or is this all part of the normal healing process?

Thanks for your question, it is hard to tell just by looking  at your pictures, a physical examination is needed, schedule your post op consultation good luck!

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

How to tell if my hernia/diastasis recti came back?

A scan or ultrasound might address your post operative concerns of fail repairs... Best to discuss with your surgeon... 

Diastasis Recti

It is impossible to tell whether you have had a recurrence of your diastasis from these photos. An examination may be able to yield more information. At this point in your postoperative healing, you can expect to have a significant amount of swelling which may cycle with each days activity. This will often settle down by about six months. In any case, it would be quite unlikely to have a recurrence of this condition.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

It can take 4-6 months for all your swelling to go away. It is somewhat difficult to tell by your photos and without an exam. I would recommend you speak with your operative surgeon as they will be most familiar with your case. Best of luck

Did my hernia and diastasis return

Thank you so much for your question about your tummy tuck.

It is hard to tell from the photos. You will still be puffy because of surgical swelling - it will take 6 months to subside. But if you think something is changing, return to your surgeon for an exam. S/he should be able to tell you what is going on.

Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

Hernia returned?

While it is possible that the diastasis or hernia has recurred, it is unlikely.  Your best option for determining this is to return to the surgeon who performed the procedure.  After his or her exam, if you are still unsure, seek another opinion.

Michael Leff, MD (retired)
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

If you lie flat and then begin to sit up if the hernia or diastsis has returned you should see it push out and feel a gap in the fascia but it is very doubtful that is occurring and you probably just have some swelling. dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD