My cosmetic surgeon is recommending doing a facelift and upper and lower eyelids at one time. Is this reasonable?

Reasonable — And Fairly Common

Surgeons often decide to combine facial procedures into a single surgery to better advance their patients' goals. In the case of a facelift and blepharoplasty, the combined procedure achieves maximal rejuvenation without 2 separate recovery periods. As long as your surgeon's goals align with your own, I would agree that this is a reasonable suggestion.

Stockton Plastic Surgeon

The Upside of Combining a Facelift and Upper and Lower Eyelid Lift

Dear sriddle1976:

It is very reasonable to perform facelift, neck lift, upper and lower facelift at the same time. Your recovery time compared to multiple procedures is diminished and you will have a fuller more balanced facial result.

There are reasonable concerns you should be aware of including:
- Your optimal health for this combination procedure
- Ability to tolerate a longer anesthetic procedure with medical clearance from your internist
- Proper eye clearance from your optometrist or ophthalmologist
- Your expectations will be met and not overpromised; you are trusting and comfortable with your surgeon to do each of these procedures
- You have given yourself the time to heal and assistance to care for yourself

Please consult with a skillful and talented, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to evaluate you and make recommendations base on all non-surgical, minimally invasive and surgical options.

I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Facelift and 4 lid blephs

This combination of surgery is not unusual and you need to find a PS who can run through the pros and cons of this with you and show you examples of his/her work so that you can be empowered to proceed or not.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Facelift with Four Lid Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question about facelift and other procedures.

Yes, it is common to perform upper and lower eyelid blepharoplasty at the same time as a facelift.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have facelift surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Less downtime post surgery

Hi

Thank you for your question. I perform many procedures at the same time. Many of my patients who are have my Concept Facelift will often combine it with a Neck Lift and Eyelid surgery as the down time is quicker and you do not have to come back for multiple procedures. Just be prepared for bruising and swelling but follow the aftercare advice of your consultant and I am sure you will be fine!

Good luck!

Find the right surgeon for you

If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel on the inside, a facelift may be the solution to help you look and feel younger. During your consultation, your doctor will evaluate your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure. Based on this evaluation, he/she will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. Your doctor should make sure you have a full understanding of what results to expect.Always insist on a board certified surgeon!

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Facelift

It is perfectly reasonable to have these procedures performed at the same time. Most patients prefer it because you have a single recovery. Best of luck.

Scott C. Lindsay, DO
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Combining a Facelift with a upper and lower Blepharoplasty is a great way to achieve full facial rejuvenation in one single recovery period.  We regularly perform these combined procedures in my office, and my patients both appreciate the convenience and love their results. 

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

FACELIFT AND UPPER / LOWER BLEPHAROPLASTY

The short answer is that performing multiple procedures, if medically permissible, is absolutely fine and recommended.  I have successfully performed in excess of 10,000 facial rejuvenation procedures and many of them are combination procedures such as facelift, fat transfer, laser resurfacing, upper eyelids, lower eyelids, browlift, etc.

Combining procedures allows for a balanced result and provides for a single recovery session.

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Very Reasonable to Combine the Two

Yes. It is a great idea to combine both procedures. This way you will rejuvenate the upper portion of your face at the same time as you are improving the lower third. You will also have the advantage of a single recovery period. Be sure that you have someone available to help you with any home chores during the first week, and get ready for at least one week of rest with no vigorous activity.  

Louis C. Cutolo, Jr., MD, FACS