Can you get your nipples pierced 4 months post op. Saline breast augmentation?

I was interested in getting mine done but not sure if it could cause infection or bacteria, does anyone know if I should wait longer or if I'm okay?

Piercing post breast augmentation

As long as you have healed well there is no reason why you could not have this done, it's best to check this with your surgeon though and make sure they are happy with you doing this.

Nipple Piercing - is it Safe

Thanks for your question and congrats on getting through your surgery.  Check with your surgeon before moving forward with this procedure.  Assuming all went well with your surgery and recovery it is highly likely they will release you to have this done. 

Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Post Op 4 Months Piercing

By 4 months post op there should be a strong, protective capsule surrounding the implant and risk of infection due to nipple piercing travelling to the implant would be extremely low, however it is best that you ask your operating surgeon for their advice.

All the best

Nipple piercing after surgery.

Good afternoon,

Statistically, it is perfectly safe to get your nipples pieced four months after surgery. However, if you are worried, please give your surgeon a call and ask them directly.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Nipple piercing

It is probably ok to pierce the nipples 4 months after surgery, but you should always ask your surgeon first.

I have seen 1 life-threatening infection in a patient  who had her nipples pierced a few weeks after breast augmentation.  An infection in the nipple tract down to the implant, infected the implant and created toxic shock syndrome.

Thus I have always been concerned about nipple piercing in the presence of breast implants.  My preference is that if nipple piercing is to be done it be done before breast implants are placed.

It is known that  the breast ducts contain Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus aureus  bacteria  and I am uncertain how one can't be certain that these bacteria are not introduced into the bloodstream during piercing.

Nipple Piercing

Check with your surgeon before piercing.  In most cases it is safe to pierce 6 to 9 weeks after surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Nipple piercing after breast augmentation surgery

It's always best to check with your surgeon about his or her protocol. I advise my patients that they can pierce their nipples safely six weeks after surgery.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Piercing After Augmentation

The primary concern about nipple piercing after augmentation is the possibility of implant infection. The nipple is the open end of the breast duct and the ducts run all throughout the breast tissue.  At 4 months, the capsule should have formed around the implant and act as one barrier to bacterial infection.  

Of of course it's critical that you find a reputable person to do the piercing.  One who has experience working with implant patients.

Samuel Beran, MD

Nipple piercing after breast augmentation

Great question and I am sure one that other women have as well. Since the nipple is separate from the breast implant pocket piecing your nipples should be safe 4 months after having breast augmentation.  Make sure it's with a reputable office and that the area does not become infected.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD