After having a Breast Augmentation with saline can you get your nipples pierced??

Or could it cause infections how does that work? should you wait months?

Nipple piercing after breast augmentation

Nipple piercing has the potential to causing infection if it is not done by sterile technique. This could potentially cause implant infection which is a serious complication. I would suggest leaving piercing for at least 6months till everything is well settled and ensure that the person doing the piercing procedure using sterile technique to avoid any issues of infection.

Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

Can I pierce my nipples after a breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  In general, I recommend against piercing nipples after a breast augmentation because of the increased risk of infection to your breast implant require removal...  With that said, however, if you absolutely must get your nipples pierced, the question then becomes whether your breast implants were placed below the muscle or above.  As milk ducts harbor bacteria, your implant is theoretically at greater risk of infection after a piercing if it is placed in the breast gland (above the muscle).  But if it is placed below the muscle, as most implants are, I would recommend waiting at least 6 months before piercing. 

As always, consult with your plastic surgeon before making such a decision.

Good luck.

Mark K Markarian, MD, MSPH
Harvard-trained Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon

After having a Breast Augmentation with saline can you get your nipples pierced

Although in most cases piercing if one has breast implants piercing is not a problem, it does increase the risk of infection that could theoretically spread to your implant. There are factors that may increase or decrease your risk. For example if your implants are under the muscle they would be less likely to become infected if piercing stirred up some bacteria in the nipple. On the other hand if your implants are over the muscle and you do not have a lot of breast tissue between the implant in the nipple, theoretically the risk of infection would be higher. If one does get pierced, it would be wise to speak to your plastic surgeon regarding the possibility of antibiotics during the piercing procedure.

Nipple piercing

You should check with your surgeon when it is ok to have nipple piercing, but in general 6-8 wks post is probably ok.

Nipple piercing following breast augmentation.

The milk ducts in the nipple that lead into the breast tissue have resident bacteria. These could end up causing a clinical infection, especially when stirred up into a wound following a piercing. This could cause an infection of the breast tissue. If you end up getting an infection around your implant, the implant will have to be taken out and replaced at a later date when the infection has settled. In summary, it is not worth it...!

Thank you for your question.  The only very serious infection after breast augmentation I have ever seen was in a patient who had their nipples pierced after breast implants.  My recommendation would be that he had not pierced her nipples after breast implants have been placed.

Nipple Piercing after Breast Augmentation

Nipple ducts harbor bacteria so there is always the chance that you could get an infection at the wound or even later on.  Infections that get into the blood stream could concievably go to the capsule of your implant, causing a capsular contracture.  

We do not know exactly all the things that make this happen but bacteria seems to be involved in many if not most of these cases. We do not have any study statistics about this particular circumstance, however.

Talk to your surgeon for more guidance.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

There's always a risk...

Thanks for your question. Whenever you have piercing there's a small risk of complications that could affect your breast implant. I suggest you speak with your plastic surgeon about these risks in greater detail. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Wait at least six months if not a year

You should wait at least six months to a year before you opt for this type of piercing as there is an increased risk , in my opinion, of capsular contracture or scar tissue developing around your implants.  The best resource is your surgeon who should guide you to the best recommendation for your particular situation.  Hope this helps and thank you for your question.