Chin Implant/filler question. Two doctors have told me I could benefit. Two told me I don't need it.

I feel I have a weak chin with a lacking jawline. I got I believe Restylane injected, 1and1/2 syringes I was thinking about getting Voluma next as it can last 1-2 years. Or if I should just got for an implant.Can I expect to see similar results? I like the fact that my filler is subtle, didn't compliantly reshape my chin or give it crazy projection.Though it did enhance it and correct most of what i did not like. Would I benefit from a small/XS implant? Or stick with filler?

Chin Implant vs. Fillers

A chin implant will provide more structure and support while fillers add volume to an area.  While a filler may give you a bit of a "sneak preview" of a fuller chin, fillers are not really indicated to enhance a chin profile. The implant will provide more natural-looking projection that enhances a profile nicely.  My advice would be to share your concerns with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon so that together you can determine what size implant will bring balance to your face while enhancing your profile in a way that meets your expectations.

Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, there is an aesthetic balance that is achieved with a properly augmented chin.  As outlined in my book on face and body beauty, you can determine the chin's augmentation.  On profile, draw an imaginary vertical line down from the lower lip and a man's chin should approach that line while a woman's chin should be approximately 1/4 of an inch behind that line.  

Chin Augmentation can be done using a dermal filler (I prefer Perlane or radiuses) or using a Chin Implant for a permanent enhancement.  Augmenting the chin creates harmony and balance to the entire lower face.

Hope this helps.

Chin implant or filler?

Both chin implants and fillers can provide augmentation to the chin and jawline.  The advantage of an implant is that it will be permanent (unless removed) and it can provide more projection than a filler.  The advantage of a filler is that it is non-surgical and can be used over a wider area, if needed.  A filler can also be customized if both sides are not the same.  If you are only looking for a subtle change, the filler may be more appropriate for you.  Voluma would last longer than Restylane.  Radiesse is another option since it is a bit firmer and can provide more projection, but the longevity of it would be in between Restylane and Voluma.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant versus fillers

Fillers do not work for very well in the chin area, since they are not designed for that purpose. A chin implant is composed of Silastic, is inserted underneath the periosteum covering the mandible and is placed through a sub mental incision under local anesthesia. A chin implant offers a permanent augmentation to the chin,  while fillers are only very temporary and must be repeated