Chin Implant/filler question. Two doctors have told me I could benefit. Two told me I don't need it.

I feel I have a weak chin with a lacking jawline. I got I believe Restylane injected, 1and1/2 syringes I was thinking about getting Voluma next as it can last 1-2 years. Or if I should just got for an implant.Can I expect to see similar results? I like the fact that my filler is subtle, didn't compliantly reshape my chin or give it crazy projection.Though it did enhance it and correct most of what i did not like. Would I benefit from a small/XS implant? Or stick with filler?

What are my options to improve my weak chin and lacking jaw line?

The chin and jaw line are important characteristics in facial harmony and if weak or recessed can result in facial imbalance. Chin augmentation can be achieved by several methods, each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

• Non-surgical augmentation of the chin with fillers (hyaluronic acid, radiesse) offer a conservative augmentation that is temporary for between 6-12months. Fillers are generally softer materials so the augmentation of the bone along the jaw line is generally limited in effectiveness. They offer the advantage of a non-surgical procedure that enable a patient to “try out an improvement” before surgery.
  • Fat transfer: can have variable results in augmenting the chin as survival of the fat in this area can be modest. Fat is a soft material so does not simulate boney weakness.
  • Chin augmentation with a chin implant requires a surgical procedure to insert the chin implant, the size of the implant can be tailored to the individual and the implants will last long-term. The implant can be tailored in shape to your individual jaw line and the tails of the implant can further strengthen the jaw line. 
  • Augmentation of the chin with jaw advancement surgery (termed sliding genioplasty) requires more invasive surgery than insertion of a chin implant. For marked recession the treatment is coupled with orthodontics requiring braces to realign bite that requires many months of treatment, there maybe numbness in the area of the jaw after treatment which can be permanent. Generally this is not required for most chin augmentation unless severe recession is present.

The most suitable treatment for you, depends on you clinical features, signs and facial characteristics. In the absence of a photograph or clinical assessment this is difficult to evaluation, seeing a surgeon who is able to offer all of the alternative options may be the best way forward to fine the most suitable option for your individual needs.

London Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat in the right places

One thing to consider is fat transfer to this area. That or radiesse gives the best results in my hands.

I do a lot fewer chin inplants these days as the risks is much lower and the results and downtime are improved with injectables. 

A portion of the fat will last forever. It does often take two injections but can be impressive. 

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant vs. Fillers

A chin implant will provide more structure and support while fillers add volume to an area.  While a filler may give you a bit of a "sneak preview" of a fuller chin, fillers are not really indicated to enhance a chin profile. The implant will provide more natural-looking projection that enhances a profile nicely.  My advice would be to share your concerns with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon so that together you can determine what size implant will bring balance to your face while enhancing your profile in a way that meets your expectations.

Vu Ho, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, there is an aesthetic balance that is achieved with a properly augmented chin.  As outlined in my book on face and body beauty, you can determine the chin's augmentation.  On profile, draw an imaginary vertical line down from the lower lip and a man's chin should approach that line while a woman's chin should be approximately 1/4 of an inch behind that line.  

Chin Augmentation can be done using a dermal filler (I prefer Perlane or radiuses) or using a Chin Implant for a permanent enhancement.  Augmenting the chin creates harmony and balance to the entire lower face.

Hope this helps.

Chin implant or filler?

Both chin implants and fillers can provide augmentation to the chin and jawline.  The advantage of an implant is that it will be permanent (unless removed) and it can provide more projection than a filler.  The advantage of a filler is that it is non-surgical and can be used over a wider area, if needed.  A filler can also be customized if both sides are not the same.  If you are only looking for a subtle change, the filler may be more appropriate for you.  Voluma would last longer than Restylane.  Radiesse is another option since it is a bit firmer and can provide more projection, but the longevity of it would be in between Restylane and Voluma.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant versus fillers

Fillers do not work for very well in the chin area, since they are not designed for that purpose. A chin implant is composed of Silastic, is inserted underneath the periosteum covering the mandible and is placed through a sub mental incision under local anesthesia. A chin implant offers a permanent augmentation to the chin,  while fillers are only very temporary and must be repeated