Is it true the more you have Botox injected the longer it stays? Can the results ever be permanent? I'm 30 years old next month.

I've been having botox every 3months for nearly 2yrs. The last 2times I had it done it has given me an adverse reaction. My eyes have sunken into my head/my skin looks very waxy/doughy, with my cheeks flat in the middle, yet puffy and protruding at the cheekbones (think Carla Bruni- a triangular look: wide at the top of cheekbones/ narrow jaw) Will this take longer than the 4-6 month mark to go away? My last session lasted 8months, could it last longer again? Or even be permanent?

Botox Longevity

Botox is not permanent. However, after several injections of Botox most people can stretch their injections out. This is because the muscles being injected might become weaker and thus the effect of the Botox may appear longer. Nonetheless, the adverse reaction you are describing is not a typical result of Botox. I advise you to have in person evaluation with your treating physician. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Does more Botox equal longer lasting results?

Thank you very much for your question. Even after years of injections, the results from Botox will only last from three to four months, and these will never become permanent. I suggest that you get in touch with your provider to discuss the side-effects you are currently experiencing. If you are not comfortable with their advice, get a second opinion from a board certified, experienced plastic surgeon. He/she can go over the details of your Botox treatments and how to proceed.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Side effects

The side effects you've described are very unlikely to result from the Botox.  Also, typically Botox lasts about 3-4 months, and the effect does not prolong with continued injections.

I would have an experienced injector take a look and see what occurred and whether there may be something else going on.

Reza Tirgari, MD
San Diego Physician

Botox Side Effects

Hi and thanks for your question. I'm sorry you are experiencing these effects, but I really do not think that they are from Botox. You should really get it checked out by an experienced Botox injector. Hope that helps

Generally Botox does begin to last longer the more frequently you have the injections. That said, Botox is not permanent. If you remain concerned, go see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist for a second opinion. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Botox

Thank you for your question.  Botox is not permanent.   What you are describing does not sound like it is caused by the Botox.  I suggest you follow up with your injector.  Best of luck to you.

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Side Effects

There are no permanent side effects from Botox and the ones that you are describing are not at all typical of Botox.  Please consult an expert in Botox for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox results

The symptoms you are describing sound atypical for Botox. Treatment with Botox is temporary. I would recommend follow up with your injector for further evaluation or get a second opinion.

Hello HelpNeeded22,

Injecting more Botox than you need does not make the result last longer.  Underdosing can make the result not last as long.  Over dosing only exposes you to more side effects.  There is nothing that would make the effects of Botox permanent.  For the muscle between the eyes there is a surgical procedure that can help reduce the muscle activity but even that has been shown to not always be permanent.  As far as the adverse reaction you described, that does not sound like a typical result.  Without seeing before and after photos it makes it hard to determine what happened.  I would suggest your follow up with your injector for an evaluation

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox longevity

Results of Botox are never permanent; however, as you continue to have Botox done frequently the muscles that are being injected may become weaker and therefore the effect may appear longer

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist