Today I received a syringe of Voluma xc spread to two cheekbones and this is the result. Is this a common reaction? (photo)

I have these speed bump looking things on both sides, one higher than the other. Is this a natural reaction or does it look like the practitioner might have done something wrong. For how long I would need to avoid sun? And finally, how long would it take for them to evenly spread and create the intended effect?

Voluma and bumps

Voluma is a great injection to increase mid face volume.  The bumps may be a local reaction from injecting the product too superficially.  If you are still experiencing these bumps then you should return to your treating physician to have it dissolved with Hyaluronidase.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in facial cosmetic injections.

It appears as though you have received an unfortunate result.

Thank you for your question and photo.

It appears as though you have received an unfortunate result. Consider visiting the clinic ASAP and have the injector remove the product.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Incorrect Voluma Placement

Hi Brian. Thanks for the picture. To me, this looks like the Voluma was placed way too superficially and that is what is causing the lumps. Voluma is a bulky compound that needs to be placed deep in the tissues, just above the bone. When this is done properly there is little to no visible swelling or bruising. This is one situation in which you should visit your injector sooner rather than later because it is probably best to have it dissolved with Hyaluronidase. Best of luck to you.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Large lumps after Voluma

That looks like incorrect injection technique, or VERY severe swelling. But to me, this is technique-related more. Filler is not affected by the sun necessarily. But skin is, so you need to wear sunscreen. The filler really won't spread out. It doesn't do that. I think you need to return to your injector, or another physician injector in your area, for an assessment. While swelling is common with any filler there is much less swelling with Voluma, and so I just really think this is technique related.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Voluma Bumps

Brian, It is difficult to give medical advice based on a single photograph. Occasionally, extremely thin patients will experience temporary contour irregularities similar to yours, even when Voluma is properly injected above the bone. If your product was injected deeply as recommended, you should see a rapid decrease in the size of your "speed bumps" in just a few days. If however the product was injected too superficially, the problem will likely not get better and may require treatment with hyaluronidase to dissove some or all of the product.  It is always best if possible to work with your doctor towards resolution of the problem.

More than anything, I question the logic of the treatment.  You appear to have a very thin face with little subcutaneous fat. I think that you will require more than one syringe of Voluma as well as treatment with a less viscous HA filler (Juvederm, Restylane) to achieve an optimal result.

Best wishes

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma placed on cheeks improperly

This is very poor technique for the Voluma.  No other explanation.  I would get this dissolved, refunded, and then go to another facility.  In the right hands, Voluma is an excellent filler for the cheeks and appears very natural.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Voluma injections in Los Angeles

Voluma is an excellent volume filler for the mid face. It may take more than one syringe to see maximal effect in midface projection and volume. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS