Thick skin or Thin skin regarding rhinoplasty?

Of course I am aware a consultation is needed, but mine is in-between? I can move the cartilage a lot with my fingers and feel the fine details through the skin. When I push on the tip I can see the cartilage underneath, and when I flare my nostrils the upper cartilage moves too. However at rest I cannot really see any cartilage and I have a very blunt nasal tip. My skin at the sides of my nose is also fairly oily. I am half Indian and half Caucasian. Thin or thick? Is it possible to be midway?

Without an examination in person it is impossible to give you an answer, in most of the people the skin on the upper half of the nose is thinner than in the lower half. The surgery does not make the skin thinner, but the surgery can be planned to achieve a good result, either if your skin is thin or thick. Please get a consultation for an evaluation of your case, and discuss your goals, concerns and limitations.

Regardless of the thick or thinness  of your skin a rhinoplasty can be successfully performed.Thank you for your questions.

Fred Suess, MD

Nasal skin

The thickness of the skin on the nose is an important determinant in how much refinement and definition can be achieved with surgery.  We cannot change the skin, and avoid any scars in the nasal skin because of the increased tendency for undesirable scarring.  The feel and appearance of the skin are the critical elements of the examination in determining the limitations of the thickness on expectations of the surgery, but in all cases some refinement and improvement are possible.

Thick or Thin skin with Rhinoplasty

Dear Emmmahmed, Regardless of your skin type you can have refinement to the nose with rhinoplasty surgery. The thicker the skin will limit the amount of refinement however during consultation imaging can be performed to show you the proposed changes taking into consideration your nasal anatomy. This will give you a good idea of what goals can be achieved with rhinoplasty surgery and you can then make an informed decision. See the video above and link below for examples of ethnic rhinoplasty. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D. 

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty and skin thickness?

Rhinoplasty for the thick or very thin skin are guitar different. I need to see you in person to give an informed answer. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for best results. 

Thick or thin nasal skin?

Thanks for your question.  It is certainly possible to be in between the extremes of thin and thick skin even in different regions of your nose.  The fact is that your anatomy is your anatomy and will not be changed.  The potential for improvement of your nose can best be determined by a face-to-face examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon or ENT facial plastic surgeon.  Get several opinions and review photographs of other patients to be sure that your expectations are realistic and goals achievable.  Best wishes and good luck.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Do I Have Thick or Thin Nasal Skin?

I appreciate your attempt to describe the quality of your nasal skin but I must at least see pictures to answer your question. Having said that, an examination is best because even photographs can be misleading, especially in a patient like yourself where skin thickness is not obvious. This is a very important consideration to establish reasonable goals for rhinoplasty surgery.

Thickness of the skin for a rhinoplasty

A full set of photographs of the nose in addition to an in-person examination are required to determine the thickness of the skin and what can be accomplished with a rhinoplasty procedure on your specific nose. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below