Will my reduced breasts sag after breastfeeding?

I'm 18 years old and want to get a breast reduction, but being a mom is a dream of mine. Breastfeeding would be ideal, and I know it can be compromised cause of the surgery. In case I still manage to breastfeed after surgery, would my breasts sag afterwards or still be perky? I plan on getting a small perky B cup, since I am very skinny, small breasts would suit me more. Thanks :)

Hi there! Your breasts will most likely change after pregnancy and breast feeding due to weight loss/weight gain, skin elasticity, and tissue changes. The droopiness of your breasts may occur after deflation when you are done producing milk. However, everyone is different in how their body changes. Please seek medical advice from board-certified surgeons who have examined you in person. I wish you the best of luck!

Breast Reduction/Breast lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question.

There will most likely be some changes to your breasts following breastfeeding -- be it tissue changes due to weight loss/gain , skin elasticity, hormone fluctuations..

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Breast sag after breast feeding

Several factors contribute to sagging or breast ptosis. There is gravity, skin elasticity, genetics... Breast tissue is composed of both fatty tissue and glandular tissue. The fatty tissue changes with weight gains and losses. The glandular tissue changes with hormones, ie; puberty, pregnancy, even birth control. After a breast reduction procedure, the remaining tissue will still changed in response to hormones and weight . That being said, your breasts will change with pregnancy and breast feeding. After babies, you may or may not need a lift that depends on your skin elasticity.

Chester K. Cheng, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding and breast form

Breast feeding often causes different breast changes in different people.  Most patients experience some engorging of the breast with milk, followed by deflation which often causes some drooping.  Some women, however, don't see much of a difference at all.  While it is hard to say how your particular breasts will react to pregnancy and breast feeding, it is safest to assume there will be some changes after breast feeding.  That said, many patients really enjoy the difference in their lives following breast reduction, and many women that I operate on late in life tell me they wish they would have done the surgery sooner.

Thank you for your question. It can be very hard to predict what changes the breasts will undergo with pregnancy. Some women have significant changes and some women do not. In addition, some women are unable to breastfeed successfully, even without breast surgery, so surgery can not always be the cause of inability to breastfeed. 

I would say that you have a good chance of having breast changes with pregnancy that could compromise the results from your surgery. If you plan to have children soon, you might do better to delay your breast reduction surgery until after you are done having children. If you are not going to have children for several years, and your breasts cause you a significant amount of discomfort, then you might be better off to proceed with reduction surgery now, knowing that after having children, you might need a small revision to get yourself back to where you want to be in terms of aesthetics.

Hope this helps!

Breast reduction: Sagging after breastfeeding

Not all women are naturally able to breastfeed, but if you are able to breastfeed you might need to supplement with a bottle after breast reduction surgery. Either way, the milk that comes in during pregnancy might stretch your skin, which may cause some loss of skin elasticity. After the milk disappears, women may stay the same size or get bigger, or smaller, and/or droopier. What happens can  change from pregnancy to pregnancy, and there is no way of predicting which way it will go. Hope this information is helpful. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction at Age 18 and Future Breast-Feeding?

Breasts naturally may continue to enlarge up to the age of 22-24 for some women and so performing a breast reduction at 18 should be carefully discussed with your plastic surgeon.  Good reasons to proceed now would be a DD+ cup size with neck shoulder and back pain that affects your lifestyle.  Others proceed due to social issues and embarrassment but need to recognize that on occasion a revision may be necessary in their early to mid 20's.  Pregnancy(s) and breast feeding affect breasts on a case by case basis but certainly as plastic surgeons the patients whom we see most all have noted sagging and droopiness and often a change in size of their breasts.  You may be the exception, but IMHO need to expect changes in your skin and shape after each pregnancy. So, before proceeding with any reduction/lift surgery at age 18, weigh your options and goals carefully.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Early breast reduction

What size are your breasts right now?  If you're that skinny, I would think that your current breast size does not necessarily warrant a reduction, considering your age and desire to have babies and breast feed, associated risks of altered nipple sensation, possibly lower chance of breastfeeding, and not to mention possibility of bottoming out.  Women's breasts do usually change after breastfeeding, and more importantly, with age, so it's tough to tell exactly what changes you can expect.  I would recommend that you hold off, unless you have a diagnosis of juvenile hypertrophy of the breasts, with gigantomastia.

Cain R. Linville, MD
Houston Physician

Breast reduction

Thanks for your question. It is rather hard to predict the future but whether or not your breast will sag is entirely dependent on a few factors. Mainly the quality of your skin dictates whether or not your breasts willl sag but the duration of breast feeding also plays a factor. I always encourage patients to get the breast reduction because it improves your quality of life by taking weight off. 

Thank you for the question. There is no right answer here. I try to individualize every patient's care based on their specific circumstances. Generally however (everything else being equal) it is best to wait until after pregnancy to have any type of breast surgery.  It is not possible to predict exactly how a specific patient's breast will change after pregnancy,  regardless of whether the patient has had previous breast surgery or not.  Some typical changes seen  after pregnancy include a decrease in size, “sagging" and/or the development of some asymmetry.  On the other hand, some women  experience very little change even after several pregnancies.