Is there any reason a Dr would insert butt implants under the muscle instead of in between the muscle?

Is there any reason a Dr would insert butt implants under the muscle instead of in between the muscle? Is one way better than the other? I know inserting them on top of the muscle is usually not desirable. But I wonder if one is better than the other as far as in between the muscle or underneath the muscle altogether

Placement of buttocks implants

Buttocks implants should be placed within the gluteus major muscle as this is where they will be protected from both infection and extrusion. Placement of the implant under the muscle is not possible as this is where your vital nerves and arteries travel and dissection in this region would result in major functional loss.

Butt implants

Intramuscular placement of buttock is the safest option.Submsucular placement may lead to implant dislocation and nerve compression.If the implants is corrrectly placed inside this big muscle you have the highest chance of a successful surgery.

Alexander Aslani, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. When performing a buttocks augmentation with implants, there are two different approaches for placing the implants—over the muscle or in the middle of the gluteus maximus muscle. When performing this surgery on my patients, I recommend placing the implants in the middle of the gluteus maximus muscle for multiple reasons: 1) the implant will look and feel much more natural, 2) there will be a much lower rate of infection with this approach, and 3) the implants will be much less likely to rotate, flip or shift positions. Assuming that you are otherwise healthy, I would recommend scheduling an in person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon to decide which option is best for you. Best of luck to you!

Buttock implant placement

Because the buttock muscles are intertwined in multiple layers, it is not possible or safe to put the implant completely under all of them. However, most properly the implant should be placed between the gluteus maximus and underlying gluteus medius and minimus (aka "submuscular"). Occasionally it may be acceptable to place the implant within the gluteus maximus (aka "intramuscular") as long as the surgeon is skilled in keeping this plane of dissection level/consistent without puncturing through to the subcutaneous (on top of the muscle, aka "subfascial") plane.  The intramuscular technique should be reserved for patients with reasonable muscle bulk. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD