Post rhinoplasty; worried?

So I had a rhinoplasty 5 months ago and am beyond happy with the results... But I went for a facial the other day and the woman just wasn't being gentle she was knocking my whole face and bumping my nose pretty hard during massage and creams. I wanted to know if I'm being overly protective or if she could actually have caused some damage, I'm very anxious, please put my mind at rest...

Trauma to nose

Thank you for the question and it is very doubtful that any damage was done to your nose during the facial. So stop worrying but go to someone else more gentle next time

Dr. Corbin

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. I hope that your aesthetician was aware of your recent Rhinoplasty procedure and if so, she should have been more careful. It is always best to receive aesthetician recommendations from your board certified facial plastic surgeon. I suggest that you consult in-person with your board certified facial plastic surgeon to ensure that the aesthetician did not create any long-term damage. It is the best precaution, although, you are more than likely undamaged because you did not feel bleeding or significant discomfort.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal trauma after Rhinoplasty

It is never acceptable to allow unnecessary trauma to the nose whether or not an individual has had rhinoplasty surgery. It is unlikely that you will have any problems now that you're 5 months post-op. If you have any changes in nasal appearance or breathing obstruction contact your surgeon.

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Highly unlikely

I'ts obviously not a great idea to beat up your nose a whole lot, regardless of when or if you had surgery. But in general, it would we extremely rare for you to have permanent damage to you rhinoplasty due to a facial. 5 months out, everything should be well healed. 

Marcelo Ghersi, MD

You can relax

Truly - there should be nothing to worry about this far out from surgery. We let patients return to full contact sports at 3 months. I hope your facial was not as fought as that!  Glad you are happy with your results!

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-rhinoplasty healing

At 5 months, the post-rhinoplasty nose should be fairly stable; gentle pressure and "bumps" during a facial are very, very unlikely to disturb anything.  For reference, I usually advice against direct pressure (such as that of glasses or sunglasses) on the nasal bridge and the nose for 2 months after surgery, as this is usually how long the nasal bones require to knit together.  If your nose looks the same after the facial and you're not having any discomfort, bleeding, or bruising, I would take a deep breath, allow your mind to relax, and move on with life.  At this point, any blow/ physical force that disturbs the nose likely would have affected the unoperated nose also.  Good luck in your recovery!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon