Ever have patient complain of uncomfortable permanent suture? Painful? What could be cause? 7 mos post op

bad experience w/ benelli lift w/ implants. started tuberous & asymetric. Left bigger than rt. The left hurts/ is uncomfortable. It seems stretched so tight. I have blood vessels from tension on that side & my nipple is herniated. It is uncomfortable. I have never read anyone w/ this experience. Is this common for benelli/ perm sutures. experience has been so bad I am considering explant w/ simple scar revision. If I have this much tug/pain will converting lift be any better w/smaller implants?

See your surgeon asap

The doughnut mastopexy with implants can give a good result for minimal elevation of the nipple, but can elongate the areola over time. Permanent sutures have been used to successfully prevent stretching of the scar. Pain and inflammation from permanent suture could occur from multiple reasons, including bacterial colonization or infection, so it is imperative that you go back to your surgeon. You could also seek a second opinion as well.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

What you are describing is unusual and deserves an in person evaluation by your plastic surgeon; second opinion consultations may be helpful, if necessary. Whether or not additional surgery including additional breast lifting is indicated will depend on your physical examination. Also, whether or not the permanent suture is the “culprit”, and should be removed, will also depend on your physical examination and symptoms. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.

Pain

Pain can be from multiple sources so an examination is really needed to try to determine the source and the solution.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Painful breast after Benelli lift for tuberous breast correction

I am sorry to hear of your experience and pain.  Make sure to review your concerns with your plastic surgeon first.  You can also seek a second opinion.  The permanent suture, if bothersome, could be removed under local anesthesia.  An in-person examination would give you the best answers.  The video attached explains  the principles of a donut/Benelli/circumareolar mastopexy.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

I would absolutely discuss this with you plastic surgeon. He / she knows exactly what they did and what the problems may be. There are no photos and without a physical examination I can't really offer more.

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic surgery