Orthodontic surgery and rhinoplasty at the same time?

I'm fixing my jaw because I have a severe overbite, but I really didn't want to take a month and a half and then an extra two weeks for rhinoplasty. I have work and school and I don't want to miss it. Do you think it would be a bad idea to do both at the same time? Which should I do first then?

Orthographic surgery and rhinoplasty

Jaw surgery and rhinoplasty can be performed at the same session either by one surgeon or two separate surgeons working together.  Personally, I prefer to wait until after the jaw surgery has been done first because the logistics are simpler, but doing them as combined procedures is also possible.  Ask your oral surgeon to recommend a plastic surgeon to you.  There is a good chance they have done this in previous patients.

You certainly could have both procedures performed at the same time. Make sure you have discussed the outcome, especially the resulting profile you hope to achieve. Otherwise, I would do the rhinoplasty first.

Fred Suess, MD

Rhinoplasty and Jaw Surgery -- See a specialist

Yes, you can safely undergo both procedures at the same time. More details on your jaw surgery might be helpful to give you the best advice. In my practice I collaborate with multiple specialized surgeons to perform combination procedures designed for patients as each procedure is individualized. Please consult with multiple board certified plastic surgeons to find the option that works best for you. Best Regards, Dr. Haworth

Randal Haworth, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty and jaw surgery

You can safely undergo both depending on what exactly is being done.  If the work on you nose is all tip work, then there won't be an issue.  If you are only having the lower jawbone (mandible) operated on, then a simultaneous rhinoplasty can be safely done most of the time.  An in-office exam by someone board-certified in both Facial Plastics as well as ENT to assess your airway.  If you are having the jaws wired together, the airway can be an issue if nose surgery is done at the same time.  Also, in-office computerized morphing will aid in the careful planning needed to do both together.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Sliding genioplasty and a rhinoplasty procedures performed separately

A sliding genioplasty is performed by on oral surgeon under general anesthesia as an  inpatient surgical procedure  In a hospital setting with an overnight hospital stay.  A rhinoplasty procedure is performed by a plastic surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon as an outpatient surgical procedure under a brief general anesthesia.  Its best to undergo sliding genioplasty first, then consider a rhinoplasty afterwards as a separate procedure.  You will probably want to separate both of these  procedures by few months.