Any suggestions on onlay peck graft?

I was informed most grafts are placed in a precise pocket and scar tissue forms and you are set for life so I am content with that. I read my notes and saw that one of my grafts, the onlay peck graft, was sutured to the domes with nylon sutures. I am very worried. What if over the years my nylon sutures come loose or fail,l will the tip graft just come loose and become mobile, or does it form scar tissue ( I think not because its on the tip) and the underlying structure keeps it tight? oppinions

Cartilage grafts

In the absence of significant trauma, it would be unusual for any nasal cartilage grafts to come loose. Most nasal cartilage grafts are sewn in place. I typically use PDS suture...which is absorbable. However, it takes about 3-4 months for the suture to absorb...just long enough for your body to grow scar tissue that will keep the graft in place.

Nasal cartilage graft

It sound like you are pleased with the result currently.  If the graft becomes a problem it can always be removed, but it sounds like it's doing fine.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Nasal Tip Grafts

Nasal cartilage graft are placed for a purpose, most often cosmetic but frequently to augment structural support. Sutures hold them in place until the soft tissues (normal scarring) is sufficient. They can be removed surgically but the indications are rare. If the correction is good now, it will be good for many many decades, even though the cartilage can warp, on occasion.

Sutured Grafts

You are confused.  Sutured grafts are more secure and less apt to be misaligned then onlay/Peck grafts. That's why most surgeons like to suture grafts. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Nasal tip grafts

Nasal tip grafts typically sutured to the underlying nasal cartilage to keep them in place until scar tissues are formed. Permanent sutures are also used. Essentially, once healing is complete, graft should stay were they are placed but forces of scar contracture can displace them even when sutured in place. Nature sometimes has its own rules. Best

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO

Graft security

Don't know what peck grafts are, but you should remember that grafts integrate and are non-mobile after one month; sutures are not present when we go back for a revision rhinoplasty and the grafts are secure.

Arian Mowlavi, MD