Can you have saline implants removed in-office even though you have capsular contraction?

I have CC on my right breast it is very hard and feels like a hard ball . My dr recommended " in office removal" to save me money . But how will that work since I am contracted ? From what I know in office removal will only deflate the implant and leave the shell and Capsul in its place ? Am I correct ? If so will I still feel the contracted tissue if it is just left there :( am I getting bad advice I feel as I am . I love my breast 7 months Po but don't want another Contracture . 23 years old

Breast implants removal in the office

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, people get confused trying to use medical terms they do not understand. You are better off not trying to use these terms and learn what the doctor is actually telling you.

Simply put: any word with 'ectomy' at the end of the word means to remove, so tonsilectomy, appendectomy, mastectomy all mean to remove the organ. So these would be to remove the tonsils, appendix and breast, respectively.

Any word with 'otomy' at the end of the word means to open or make a hole in. So in terms of a breast implant capsule, a capsulotomy simply means they are going to cut a hole in the capsule to pull the implant out. There is no removal, just open. Obviously, if you want the implant removed, exchanged, pocket surgery, etc they all start with the 'otomy'. Thats it.

So a capsulotomy under local anesthesia or light sedation is absolutely fine.

For breast implant removals, as long the capsule is thin, soft and without calcium deposits, it is fine to leave them in. The body will reabsorb the thin layer over time. This is of no consequence and is entirely safe. If the capsule is thickened, and stiff, then it becomes a case by case basis. When in doubt, be in a safe, accredited surgical facility.

I hope all goes well with your surgery.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

I guess that there are different styles and methods to tackle the same problem, but I personally would not perform a removal of implants with capsules in the office under local

:In Office" Implant Removal

Hello, and thank you for your question.  So sorry to hear you are having a complication after a procedure.

I'm not quite sure honestly, what you are asking when you state "in office".  If your doctor is meaning that having your implants removed in his/her office, please make sure he/she is referring to having this done at an accredited surgery center, which may be inside his/her office.  

You may have your implants removed quite easily under general, or even local anesthesia.  All depending on the grade of your cc, and the surgical plan your doctor is referring to and that you have agreed with.

You are only 23 years old and you state you love your results.  Don't let the complication of a cc leave you with a dampened spirit.  It is possible to simply address the affected breast and get a great outcome still yet.  With just a removal, it is possible to be left with a bit of unwanted sag or laxity issues.  Please consider all these factor when deciding what to do when you move forward.  

You have many options moving forward so please, don't be too discouraged.

All the best.

Dr. Obeng

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Saline implant removal in office with capsular contracture

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

• I do not think your surgeon is recommending deflation, which leaves the implant in place.
  • I think he is recommending removal of the implant entirely - but leaving the capsule.
  • This can be done in the office.
  • Often the capsule will absorb once the implant is out.
  • But your breasts will be stretched and you may need a lift to restore breast shape.
  • And I have seen some very abnormal capsules that need to be removed, cultured and biopsied.
  • So if the implants are removed in the office, you may need a second procedure in the OR to remove the capsule or lift the breast.
  • For these reasons, I recommend doing all implant removals in the OR.
  • But if money is tight, I do what I can for people in the office.
  • If you are unsure, return to your surgeon and discuss these possibilities to see what is best for you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Although in office breast implant removal is possible, I would not recommend the procedure if encapsulation is present.  If the breast implant capsule is thickened or symptomatic, removal is indicated in my opinion; this is best done in the operating room under anesthesia ( for a number of reasons).  Please make your decisions carefully.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to  breast implant removal surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Capsular Contracture

I appreciate your question.
I do not remove implants in the office. You are trading saving some money for safety such as infection.
Also, the treatment for capsular contracture is to remove the entire capsule. If you leave it you risk fluid buildup, infection and then more of an emergency surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Breast Implant, capsular contracture

The simple answer is no.
If the implant is under the muscle, and you have severe capsular contracture, then the implant is removed, the capsule is removed, and the muscle should be re-attached to the chest wall, Other wise you will have breast animation on muscle contraction.
if the implant is above the muscle at least the anterior capsule is removed to allow the breast tissue to relax and re-drape as normal as possible, The posterior capsule can be cauterized to allow the adherence of the breast back to the chest wall muscle, and thus re-establishing normal anatomy and the chance to have as normal as possible.
With capsulectomy you will need a drain to prevent seroma formation.

You should NOT remove implants in an office setting! Seek Board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss safe options 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Removal of saline implants in office

I would recommend operative removal of the implant and capsule.  The capsule will remain and your breast will never be as soft without it.  Especially if you are ever considering replacing the implants then I would remove the capsule.  You can opt to preoperatively deflate the inflated breast implanst to make this surgery even easier.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

You may have a warranty

At only 7 months postoperative, you may be entitled to company replacement for capsule contracture. You should discuss revision in detail with your doctor. I don't typically recommend office removal for severe capsule contracture since the capsule should be addressed as well.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon