Is a nose job a quick or easy procedure?

Some surgeons seem to claim they can do it in a few hours like tying shoes. Other surgeons claim it should be a long, extensive process with hours of research, questions, and follow ups. If I want to get my breathing fixed, am I going to have to do careful research for months or can i just get an ent to do it in a couple of hours? I know it takes a lot of work but I am an impatient person, unfortunately:(

Nose Job

Thanks for your inquiry.  I would personally never consider a rhinoplasty a quick or easy procedure.  It is still a surgery performed with the patient asleep under general anesthesia.  Remember, that your nose is on the center of your face so any little abnormality is easily seen.  It actually does take a whole year for the nose to heal after a rhinoplasty.  It’s just something for you to keep in mind when doing your research.  Best of luck.

Is Rhinoplasty a quick surgery

I always tell patients we have 2 kinds of haircuts.  One with a clipper which can be done in 5 min and one with scissors and lots of layering which can take up to 2 hours.  Both are called haircuts.  The saying that if it sounds to good to be true is true.  If all you want to do is improve your breathing then the procedure can be straight forward and should not take a lot of time.  However IF you want anything cosmetic done no matter how small you better do your homework and take your time.  You will regret just going to the first guy that says he can do it...its a no biggy.My average Rhino with breathing work takes 4-5 hours to put into perspectiveGood luck and be careful

Rady Rahban, MD

Time to fix your nose

Septoplasty: 1/2 to 1  hourClosed rhinoplasty: 1 to 2 hoursOpen rhinoplasty: 2 to 4 hoursHope these guidelines are helpful.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Timing of rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty is still considered one of the most challenging and complex cosmetic surgeries, and the fact that you can see one of the highest rates of revision and suboptimal results compared to other types of cosmetic procedures is a testimony to that. I hope this helps.

Jacob Sedgh, MD

A rhinoplasty is neither quick nor easy. Your research process to find the ideal surgeon for you might take 1-2 appointments or could take months. Surgery typically requires 60-90 of actual operative time. The recovery takes 3-12 months depending upon the extent of the surgery and the surgical approach. Consult with surgeons who make rhinoplasty the focus of their practice not someone who does a few noses here and there. Best.

Rhinoplasty time and results?

rhinoplasty by very experienced surgeons should take about one hour unless a revision. The more experienced the surgeon the less time it takes except for revisions. But see several experienced rhinoplasty surgeons whose noses you like and your decision should be easy. 

RHINOPLASTY QUESTIONS

Dear rosiecon12, The hardest part of rhinoplasty surgery is finding an expert rhinoplasty surgeon. When you have breathing difficulties you will want to find a surgeon who addresses both the function and aesthetics of the nose. A septorhinoplasty is a combined procedure to address both of these aspects of the nose. I tell patients since you are on realself now this is a great place to start your search for a rhinoplasty specialist. Find some expert surgeons and read their reviews if a large portion of their reviews are regarding rhinoplasty surgery then the surgeon likely denotes a large portion of their practice to this speciality. Once you have narrowed down some expert rhinoplasty surgeons then set some consultation appointments. During the consultation digital imaging may be available where the surgeon can show you the proposed result. Then review the surgeons before and after photographs especially noses similar to your own so you can ensure the surgeon provides natural looking rhinoplasty results. In my practice I also I show patients before and after photographs as well as the patients imaging photograph to show them how close in proximity these results are. Once you have determined the desired nose then the surgeon will discuss at length the techniques that will be used to attain your desired nose. After these steps you should be very informed and you will find a surgeon and office staff that you feel comfortable with and then you can make an informed decision. To see an example of the imaging process for rhinoplasty see the video above and link below of examples of septorhinoplasty results. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D. 

Michael Elam, MD

Is a Nose Job a Quick Easy Procedure?

This surgery is one of the most challenging cosmetic operations that we do; it is not an easy procedure. The length of the operation will vary depending on the surgeon and what needs to be done.  Be focused on getting a good result, not how fast the operation is completed.

Rhinoplasty surgery is probably the hardest operation to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery. A septoplasty is a completely different procedure than a rhinoplasty Which is done for medical necessity once  there is documented blockage of airflow back of the nose. Both a rhinoplasty and a septoplasty can be performed same time under the same anesthesia with the same recovery period. In our practice, a rhinoplasty takes approximately one and a half hours, while a septoplasty  takes about 30 minutes.   For many rhinoplasty before-and-after results, please see the link and the video below

Nose Job - Easy Or Difficult?

Rhinoplasty surgery is one of the most difficult surgeries because the nose sits in the middle of the face, and a one-millimeter difference is extremely noticeable.  (Compare this to any surgery on the body such as breast, tummy tuck, etc., in which one-millimeter is not noticeable.)  For this reason, it takes years to perfect rhinoplasty surgery.  The structures are very small and -- unless one is doing an "open rhinoplasty" -- they are not visible.  To perform an excellent rhinoplasty surgery, detailed and precise techniques are used.  In my opinion, surgery should not be thought of in a cavalier way:  the result is what you will carry with you for the rest of your life!  I have performed many revision surgeries for patients who has rhinoplasties elsewhere and did not like the results. Paradoxically, with my approach to rhinoplasty surgery, the recovery is rather quick because I am not rushing through the surgery, so it is entirely possible for you to have a surgery with an excellent result and be back to your "normal" life in one week.