Is it NORMAL to struggle to breathe through your nose on a daily basis?

I have had a lot of trauma to my nose. My nostrils are really narrow. The structures of it fall down when I breathe and the cartilage in my nose is weak and sore. Could this ever heal on its own? My ENT said it was no big deal and not life threatening so he would not recommend surgery, just live with the obstruction. I hate it tho, I'm so jealous of people who have two wide open nostrils....

Struggled breathing

Hi and thanks for your question.  It is NOT normal to struggle breathing through your nose.  You may have some sort of obstruction or deviated septum that can be corrected with surgery.  You can see either a board certified Otolaryngologist or Plastic surgeon who concentrates on rhinoplasty/septoplasty.  They can examine you and discuss your realistic goals.  Good luck in your search.

Is it NORMAL to struggle to breathe through your nose on a daily basis? NO

It's definitely not normal to struggle to breathe. Your Otolaryngologist is correct that this will not shorten your life but it clearly diminishes your quality of life. Consult with a Facial Plastic Surgeon who focuses on rhinoplasty. They can discuss your options and what realistic results are possible. Best.Stephen Weber MD, FACSLone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal obstruction issues

Nasal obstruction can be caused from a variety of issues after trauma to the nose, which can be created from A deviated septum, turbinate hypertrophy, allergies, chronic sinusitis, vestibular stenosis and valve collapse. Each one of these is treated differently with either medications or surgery.