Is it normal for the doctor to draw on your jaw for Botox shots?

Hi my doctor recently drew with a marker on my face when getting injected with botox along the jaw. Is that normal?

Drawing to Mark Injection Site For Botox

Thank you for your questions. 

It's not uncommon for injector to draw lines on the face to ensure more precise injections. 

Take care. 

Marking for Botox injections

Some physicians may choose to Mark their intended injection sites. While not everyone does this, there is certainly nothing wrong with it. If you do not feel comfortable with your physician then find someone else who you do feel comfortable with. Trusting your physician is extremely important

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Drawing for injection

At my practice we always draw for injection. Completely normal practice among skilled professionals.  

Botox

While it may not be the norm, there isn't anything wrong with it. Precision is key in order to achieve good results. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Drawing to mark Botox injections is fine

While drawing is not necessary for Botox, there is nothing wrong with marking the areas to be injected to ensure symmetry and correct placement. Precise and correct injections are key to good results.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox.

Every provider has their own technique of how they inject. It is not uncommon for them to draw proper markings prior to injecting. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

There's nothing wrong with using a marker

This is completely a personal preference. I do not use markers for the jawline unless I want to be clear with the patient which areas will be injected.

Charles S. Lee, MD

Drawing on face before botox

It is not a practice I do before botox or fillers, but will no harm. Hopefully it's a washable marker.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Jawline

there is no reason to do so if you are an experienced physician but there is also no reason it would hurt you.  Please speak to your physician if you are concerned.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox

Sure, that is one of the common methods for being sure that you have the Botox in the right spot. There are many methods. And don't worry the Botox will work just as well!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon