Is it normal for there to be active bleeding after the surgeon removed the surgical tape from my areolas? (photo)

My surgeon removed the surgical tape from my aerolas 6 days post op from a periareolar augmentation just put some ointment with gauze over it. A few hours later I changed bras and noticed my left aerola was actively bleeding. I'm already an anxious person, but seeing this scared me. When contacting my surgeon he did it was fine and to just put ointment and pressure and it should be fine. Is it fine? I'm scared to start my massaging fit fear it might induce bleeding again.

Some blood / bleeding after removal of surgical tape

In general, a little blood (or a little bleeding) is not uncommon after removal of surgical tape or steri-strip tape. The incisions are fresh and although relatively healed, still may mave some raw edges that ooze a little, especially after removing tape. Your surgeon and his/her team is the best resource you have, so don't hesitate to get in to see him or his nurse if you are still concerned.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

You're probably ok.

My only suggestion is to avoid any massaging for another week. I'm sure your plastic surgeon would agree. Good luck.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Areola Incision Healing

When considering the details of the incision made around the areola, here is the information we provide to patients:Areola (peri-areolar) – A full circle incision made along the border of the areola. Heals very well. May be associated with an increased likelihood of inability to successfully breast-feed, as compared to the other incision sites and has an increased risk of capsular contracture (hardening of implant). This incision option is ideal for saline implant placement.  Saline implants require a smaller incision because they are not filled until they are inside the bodyNow, if you are still bleeding from your incision it would be best to see your surgeon in person to have the area evaluated for proper healing. The sutures can always be repaired in order to help healing continue positively. Best of luck!

Bleeding after dressing removal

First of all you did the right thing by contacting your surgeon and asking his opinion. During surgery there is some bleeding around the incision sites regardless of how well things get sutured closed, the dressing is placed(typically steri-strips I am guessing), then when they are removed the scab that has formed is removed and some bleeding can occur. As your surgeon said, some gentle pressure and ointment to the area should take care of the issue. Good luck with your healing

Bleeding after tape removal with mastopexy

Congratulations on your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.
Bleeding is expected. scab forms around the incisions and it sticks to the tape. when you peel it, bleeding happens. Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.
Wishing you the best in your journey

Areola bleeding

Thank you for your question. You are going to be fine. I recommend wait few days for massage. Please follow instructions from your PS.