Can I get neck liposuction and only wear the compression garment at night while sleeping?

I've had one Kybella treatment and not so impressed. I find it too time consuming to achieve my goals. The only thing stopping me from getting neck liposuction is the garment since I can't take a week off work and don't want to be judged by my co-workers while I wear it to work. Can I get liposuction of the neck and jawline and only wear the garment at night? Is there any way to keep your liposuction completely secret?

Compression Garment

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. A compression garment helps with the healing process and to control the swelling. Most surgeons will require at least a week of wearing a compression garment 24/7 and then less usage as the time goes by. If you must wear it only at night, which I will not recommend in the first week, you will not get the best results. Please follow-up with your surgeon. I wish you the best of luck!

Wearing compression garment after liposuction

Thank you for the question! Wearing a compression garment will help you control swelling and boost your healing process after the operation. Since most people find it impossible to wear the garment 24/7, it's okay to take it off for a short period of time. That being said, most surgeons would advise you to wear it as much as possible, day and night, at least during the first week! After that, you wear your compression garment for half a day only. 

As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your situation and guarantee an individualized medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

You can

Yes you can but you may not get the best result if you only wear it at night when you get home.  This is a risk your taking.  Why not do the surgery on Friday and take a Monday off too so that way you can have at least 3 1/2 days of wearing the binder to insure better results.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Compression garment and liposction of neck

Thank you for your question.  If it is at all possible for you to wear the compression garment for at least a week I would say go for it.    You will still have a nice result if you are unable to wear the compression garment 24/7 for the first week, it is always better if you can because it helps keep the swelling down and also helps the healing process along a bit faster.  Every surgeon has their own protocol.  Best to follow the instructions your surgeon gives you.

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Neck Liposuction

If you can have the liposuction on a Friday and wear the compression band until Monday morning, you'll be fine! Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

How to Get the Best Results--VASER / THERMIRF for NECK Contouring IS BEST

This would be best answered by the person you've chosen to do your procedure. For the best results with neck liposuction, I suggest a combination of VASER Hi def lipo with ThermiRF for fat reduction, skin tightening and contouring.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz