Neck Liposuction Best for Defining Jaw Line (If I Don't Want Chin Implant)? (photo)

I'm younger and don't have a lot of fat under my chin, but feel like if I had liposuction under the chin area it would define my jaw line a little better. My main question is, what are the risks with under the chin/neck liposuction? Can it cause saggy skin or bumpy skin or are there any potential downsides? Thanks in advance

Defining The Jaw With Lipo

From the picture, it looks as though you would do very well with facial liposuction. Facial liposuction, also called submental liposuction, is the removal of fat from under the chin using a suction device. In other words, it is a way to rid one’s self of a double chin, jowls, or chubbiness under the chin. The incisions are very small and hide easily. The recovery period is usually shorter than a traditional neck lift as well. I recommend contacting either a Board Certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon and scheduling a consultation to discuss all your options. “Dr. D”

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

To define your jawline, try fillers if you don't want an implant

Thank you for sharing your photo. You can achieve a defined jawline in two different ways: with a chin implant (sizes vary) or with injectable fillers (temporary). If you don't want a chin implant, a great idea would be to find a surgeon that has an advanced photo software system. This will show you a 3D image of what you would look like with fillers. Liposuction will not produce the results you want, particularly if you are young and don't have a lot of fat under your chin.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Liposuction Best for Defining Jaw Line (If I Don't Want Chin Implant)?

It would be difficult to determine without an exam if anything at all would be beneficial.  Sometimes, the best answer is not to do anything.

Is neck liposuction right for me?

Neck liposuction can be  very valuable procedure in helping the right patient attain a nicely defined jaw and neckline. This procedure can typically be done under local anesthetic with an oral sedative with a reasonable recovery time and minimal scarring. From the picture that you have provided it appears that you would be a good candidate for both neck liposuction and a chin implant. I would make sure to consult with an experienced facial plastic surgeon to get  thorough evaluation with options.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

From the photo provided, there does appear to be some fullness under the chin.  The neck fat is removed using "micro-lipo" that uses a very small blunt tip cannula and as such there shouldn't be any lumpiness or bumps.  This procedure can be done with skin removal (in those over 40) or without.  You may also benefit from Radiesse to the Mandibular angle to create a more flared jawline.

Jawline definition options

Thank you for the question and the photo.  The three main sources of jawline definition are often 1) mandible too small 2) too much neck fat 3) face and neck tissue too loose.  From you photo alone it appears that #2 and #3 are not the case.  Liposuction of the jaw area therefore may provide a little improvement but it will not be significant.  I think you will be well served by discussing these options with a several board certified plastic surgeons that have experience in this area.  Your best options will likely be jawline implants (chin, mandibular body/angle) or fat grafting to the jawline.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Neck liposuction in the young.

You do NOT look like u need lipo. You will need the fat as you age so u do not have a skeletonized look. Unless u have a bulge leave it alone. 

Liposuction of the jawline and neck can really define the jawline nicely.

Liposuction of the jowls and neck is so easy to undergo and makes such a great improvement in many patients and is all done under local anesthesia where you can drive yourself home and be back to work in 1 day for roughly $2500 on special. It is rare to cause sagging or bumps and really defines the jawline nicely. There is almost no bruising and minimal swelling so patients go to work really fast. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck lipo

Liposuction in someone young rarely leaves loose or sagging skin.  This is a simple procedure and an in-person exam will best delineate if this is good for you.  Radiofrequency may also be able to improve your jaw-neck angle.  -Best wishes

David Alessi, MD

Neck liposuction

There 2 locations of fat in the neck in most people and those are sub-mental and sub-platysmal. A small amount of submental fat can be easily removed with liposuction, while a large deposit of submental and subplatysmal fat will need to be addressed with a neck lift. Please see the  link below  to see what can be accomplished with neck liposuction