Nasal tip was de-rotated and shortened. Not happy with the way this looks. Is it possible to reverse?

In a revision rhinoplasty my nasal tip was de-rotated significantly, shorted by a couple of millimeters and the tip was refined and made somewhat pointy whereas my original tip was somewhat bulbous. I feel that this doesn't fit my face. A lot was done on the tip in this procedure. How possible is it to counter-rotate the tip a bit, lengthen the nose, elongate the nostrils a bit, and add some more width to my tip?

Derotate tip

Not a difficult thing for an expert revision specialist. Not a procedure for a surgeon without years of experience..

Lengthening nose and derotating tip

Both of these concerns can be fixed by using rib graft; fortunately it is not necessary to use your own as we can get this cartilage from an organ donor now! Please see examples of patients requiring rib grafting below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Revision rhinoplasty candidate

Revision rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform in the entire field  of cosmetic surgery,  so a full set of facial photographs are required to make a determination  about what can be accomplished. choose your second surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience

Considering Revision; Not Satisfied with Rhinoplasty Results

All of the techniques and procedures you mention can be used during a revision rhinoplasty. I need to see pictures to make recommendations you should consider to improve the results of your initial rhinoplasty.

Reversing the effects of a previous rhinoplasty

Dear hangininthere,
  • You can correct many issues with a revision rhinoplasty
  • It would take cartilage grafting in order to achieve the goals you want
  • Lifting a tip is actually easier than de-rotating it
  • When you are ready, please visit a revision rhinoplasty specialist who can examine you and address all of your concerns
Best,Dr. Nima

Nima Shemirani, MD

Revision rhinoplasty

As a revision rhinoplasty expert, we get some of the most challenging revisions.  We can almost always help but we will always give an honest opinion as to what is possible.  Having said that, derotating a nose is usually doable.  It sounds like you may need some graft, but an in-person exam is needed.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Revision rhinoplasty: reversing changes to the nose

Revision rhinoplasty is much more complex than primary rhinoplasty. There is scar tissue, the condition of the overlying skin, and potential to need cartilage from other sites.
Reversing the changes from a previous rhinoplasty surgery may be possible, but it depends on the individual patient. The important thing to know is that you can never get your old nose back. Revision rhinoplasty can bring you back in that direction and close to it, but I would never promise someone their old nose. 
I recommend consulting with revision specialist. They may want to see old photographs, your consultation and operative notes  from your previous surgeries, examine your nose, take photographs, and perform computer simulations, so they can show you what can be achieved safely. I encourage you to meet with several surgeons until you meet someone who is on the same page as you regarding safety and outcomes. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon