If someone is a good candidate for liposuction how long the garment that is given to the patient supposed to be worn for?

I read myths on real self that the first two weeks after the liposuction you would be in more pain than someone can imagine... Is this true???

Liposuction garments are primarily for comfort.

There is no prescribed time for wearing a compressive garment after liposuction. Follow the instructions of your surgeon. Liposuction is not a very painful procedure. Compressive garments give most patients comfort in the short aftermath of the procedure but probably have no effect on the long-term outcome.

Liposuction: Information

Dear Ms. Jessica.alba,

Thank you for your story and question. Unfortunately without photos or a examination I can advise you in general terms, however I hope you will find them helpful.

The ideal candidate is one who is at their goal weight and has diet resistant fat contour irregularities.

All of us born with a set number of fat cells. They do not multiple but rather enlarge (weight gain) and shrink (weight loss). Liposuction permanently removes fat cells. Some Some areas of the body are more "diet resistant" and tend to remain even after weight loss.However, there is no limit to the amount of fat a fat cell can store.

So if a patient gains weight after liposuction, the remaining cells in the area treated and around the body will store the new fat. This is why some liposuction patients if they gain weight post-operatively they will often notice more fullness in a new area of your body.

Bottom line:
1) attain goal weight prior to liposuction.
2) liposuction the "diet resistant" areas
3) maintain goal weight

Everybody's pain tolerance is different. In my personal experience liposuction is one of the least painful procedures.

Liposuction  garmets are usually worn for 6 weeks after surgery.

I recommend that you schedule several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition ideally a members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

I wish you my best and success,
R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

I would have to say that in general the first 3 to 4 days will require some pain medication with marked improvement thereafter.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed thousands of these procedures and has hundreds of pictures and reviews.

Beverly Hills, CA

It is a good idea to wear a compression garment for at least 4-6 weeks after surgery. Garment types vary dependent upon the preference of the individual surgeon. Make sure to see a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Garment for liposuction

I normally recommend 4 to six weeks for better easier recovery.  It also depends on the extent of the procedure and areas done

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Liposuction, Garments and Pain

Hi, thanks for your inquiry. Normally, I ask my patients to wear the garment for 4 to 6 weeks. Regarding the pain, it is true that is variable, and that someone may feel more pain than others, but if it were as bad as they say, no one else would do it ever again, and still is the most common procedure nowadays. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction garment

Pain is very subjective and really depends on pain tolerance. In regards to your question for the garment, every plastic surgeon has their own protocol for postoperative recovery and garment wear to match his/her surgery. Typically, garments are worn from weeks up to 6 weeks depending on how much liposuction was done and if other surgeries were performed.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction garment and pain

Liposuction garments should be worn according to the instructions of the plastic surgeon performing the surgery although it is more common that patients wear garments between 4-6 weeks after surgery. Pain is also variable after liposuction depending on the technique used, amount removed,  area of liposuction, and the patient's own pain tolerance. Liposuction over bony areas or larger amounts tend to be more uncomfortable and may require pain medications after surgery. Many patients feel that the support from the garment actually improves their comfort as well. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Garment after liposuction

In general, it is very important to wear a compression garment after liposuction, to press the tissue between the skin and muscle together to the proper contouring results.  6-8 weeks is best to wear the garment.

The post operative regimen for each doctor but here is what we tend to do at Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery Group:
1- Liposuction using smaller cannulas which cause less pain and less contour irregularities
2- Post operative garments 24/7 for the first 2 weeks and a more comfortable spanx type garment for 2 week at night.
3- Pain control with percocet or vicodin for the first few days and switch to tylenol after theat.
4- Encourage early ambulation and activity.